U employee jumps to death in Nils Hasselmo Hall

A 37-year-old man jumped from the building’s upper level on Monday morning.

A University of Minnesota employee committed suicide in Nils Hasselmo Hall on Monday morning, University police said.

The 37-year-old man was a part-time University employee, said University police Deputy Chief Chuck Miner. His name was not released Monday, pending notification of his family.

The man jumped from an upper level inside the building and landed on the basement atrium floor around 8:30 a.m., according to the police report.

University employees and others on the scene unsuccessfully tried to help the man, Miner said. Police arrived on the scene shortly after the man jumped. According to the police report, the responding officer administered medical attention to the man.

Hennepin County Medical Center paramedics also responded and pronounced the man dead upon arrival, the report said.

The building was closed until around noon, Miner said. This type of incident is “pretty uncommon in a building like that,” he said.

Nils Hasselmo is located on Church Street Southeast, just east of Coffman Union on the University’s East Bank. The building is seven stories tall.

Counseling services were brought in for those who witnessed the jump.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the individual involved,” University spokesman Chuck Tombarge said in a statement. “We have and certainly will continue to make counseling services available to any employees or others at the U who may need it after today’s unfortunate incident.”

Paul Wright, Academic Health Center Research Building Management Services manager, sent an email Monday afternoon to some University faculty, students and staff who use the building.

“Words seem inadequate to express the sadness we feel about the events that transpired this morning in our building,” Wright said in the email.

Though counselors had left the building by late Monday afternoon, the email said, they could return later this week.

More information will be released once the man’s family has been notified, the email said.