Laguna, Laorr step up for Gophers

The duo placed first and second among teammates at their last tournament.

The Gophers’ freshman class dominated the team’s starting lineup in its last tournament, taking three of five spots.

Early on, the freshman trio has made an immediate impact on the course.

But it was two of the team’s seniors who led in the third tournament of the season.

Carmen Laguna and Anna Laorr competed in all 11 tournaments as juniors last season and led the team on the course.

Laguna averaged 74.2 strokes per round and Laorr was at 75.3, tops on the team last season.

Laorr got off to a quick start to this season, finishing second overall and first among her teammates, before being the Gophers’ fourth finisher in the team’s second tournament.

Laguna turned in fifth- and third-place finishes among her teammates in the first two tournaments, respectively.

But the two rebounded, leading the team at the Betsy Rawls Invitational.

Laguna finished tied for 40th and Laorr 42nd in the tournament.

Head coach Michele Redman said Laguna had been struggling with her ball striking a bit, but she thinks they have figured out some of those problems.

As a team, the Gophers finished 13th in the tournament. Redman said she’s tried to forget about the results, but she was happy to see her seniors back on top.

As two seniors on a relatively young team, Laguna and Laorr serve as leaders.

“It’s always good to have seniors on the team that have experienced a lot of things in three years to share with the rest of the kids, so they can help them understand and help them grow,” Redman said.

Laguna said the team is in a growing stage right now.

“Right now, I’m the one that knows more just because I’ve been here more time and … have stuff to teach them and help them with,” Laguna said.

Earlier this month, freshman Celia Kuenster said the senior class — which also includes Sarinee Thitiratanakorn — has aided the college transition.

“I think that the three seniors on the team this year have made it easy for the three of us,” Kuenster said. “I know that they really care about us, and if we have any issues, we can talk to them.”