Dishing out healthier plates

Chef Erica Strait of Foxy Falafel serves kids as they partake in a taste test through the True Food Chef Council at Cityview Community School in Minneapolis on March 6. The Council partners with Minneapolis Public Schools for these taste tests to help come up with possible improvements in Minneapolis Public School lunch menus.
Image by Juliet Farmer

Joe Hatch-Surisook packs home-cooked lunches for his elementary-aged children so they can avoid what he calls âÄúfast-foodâÄù meals at their Minneapolis Public School cafeteria. Hatch-Surisook, a co-owner and chef at northeast Minneapolis restaurant Sen Yai Sen Lek, said the schoolâÄôs processed and sugary food is sometimes from menus similar to those of chain restaurants, and it doesnâÄôt provide his children with necessary nutrients. âÄúHaving kids âĦ [I] think about what nutrition and proper food does to kids and their focus,âÄù Hatch-Surisook said. âÄú[We need] to give them energy and the right type of nutrition, instead of having processed things and sugared items âÄî [which] is a detriment to their education because they wind up getting unfocused, and they crash.âÄù For the whole story, head to http://www.mndailyprojects.com/schoollunch