Iowa dominant in blowout victory over Minnesota

The Hawkeyes had two pins in the first two matches to win handily Saturday.
Tommy Thorn
Image by Liam James Doyle, Daily File Photo
Tommy Thorn
Junior Thomas Gilman of Iowa gave a thumbs-up to the more than 11,000 people in attendance at the Carver Hawkeye arena after he pinned redshirt freshman Skyler Petry.

The pin was a sign of things to come, as the Hawkeyes opened the dual with two consecutive pins and went on to dominate the Gophers 34-6. 

“We were there in a lot of our matches, but our guys just stopped. They stopped wrestling, and they can’t do that,” head coach J Robinson said.

The Gophers never came close to digging their way out after the two pins quickly put them in a 12-0 hole.

No. 7 Tommy Thorn won the next match against senior Brody Grothus of Iowa at 141 pounds to cut the deficit to 12-3, but Minnesota never drew the dual that close again.

“It was 12-0 [in the dual], and I thought that we had to get the momentum back in our direction,” Thorn said. “I ignored the crowd, ignored everything else. I knew that I was just wrestling the one guy. I had to take care of my match; I didn’t worry about anything else.”

The Hawkeyes won the next five matches in a row to take a commanding 31-3 lead. Thorn briefly picked the Gophers back up, only to see Iowa pin them back down again.

No. 13 Jake Short lost the next match at 149 pounds 6-2 to No. 2 Brandon Sorensen. Then No. 18 Edwin Cooper Jr. and redshirt junior Brandon Kingsley wrestled at 157 pounds. The match went into overtime, but Cooper had a takedown in the extra period to win 4-2.

Redshirt freshman Dylan Urbach lost by major decision afterward, and redshirt sophomore Nick Wanzek just avoided a technical fall in his match to lose by major decision.

Redshirt sophomore Chris Pfarr wasn’t able to avoid a technical fall in his match, getting pinned by redshirt junior Sammy Brooks to make the dual score 31-3. 

No. 4 Brett Pfarr stopped the losing streak for the Gophers in the next match, winning at 197 pounds. His match with No. 3 Nathan Burak was tied 4-4 at the beginning of the third period, but Pfarr pulled ahead later to 6-5. Burak failed to take down Pfarr in the final seconds of the match, and Pfarr earned the victory. It was Pfarr’s eighth victory over a ranked opponent this season — a team high. 

“Really good match, just didn’t finish right, and I’ll use it as a learning tool,” Pfarr said.

The dual ended with another loss for the Gophers in the heavyweight class to make the final score 34-6. The loss tied Minnesota’s largest margin of defeat this season and snapped a two-dual winning streak. 

“We talked to each guy about what they need to do,” Robinson said. “This is the point where the metal hits the road.”