Minnesota places 20th at NCAAs

The finish was the program’s highest since the end of the 2013 season.
Junior Manny Pollard dives at the Aquatic Center on Friday afternoon. The Gophers hosted the Jean Freeman Invite for swimming and diving on Dec. 5, 2014.
Image by Liam James Doyle, Daily File Photo
Senior Manny Pollard and junior Matt Barnard helped the Gophers finish 20th at the 2016 NCAA Championships, the team’s highest finish since 2013.

Pollard earned All-American honors after taking fifth on the platform dive with 393.75 points, the highest NCAA finish of his career. 

He also was 13th in the 1-meter dive with 344.80 points.

“Coming into the [platform] event today, I really wanted to [make the] final, but more importantly, I wanted to enjoy my last competition,” Pollard said. “While my performance [on the 1-meter] wasn’t my best, I was very happy to get a 10. Another goal of mine was to get a 10 every year of college, and having that [platform] dive be my last dive as a Gopher made it extremely special.”

Barnard placed seventh on the 3-meter dive with 381.00 points and was also named an All-American. 

He took ninth on the platform dive with 399.15 points after placing third in the event a year ago.

“Competing at NCAAs is always great. It’s loud, and everyone in the meet is a strong competitor,” Barnard said. “I am pretty happy overall. I came away with more points this year, so I can’t be disappointed.”

In the pool for the Gophers, junior Jakub Maly placed 22nd in the 200 individual medley after tying his own school record with a time of 1:44.53. 

The Vienna, Austria, native also finished 18th in the 400 individual medley with a 3:43.54.

Sophomore Conner McHugh took 22nd in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 53.01.

The 200 medley relay team of McHugh, juniors Daryl Turner and Paul Fair, and freshman Bowe Becker placed 16th with a time of 1:26.09.