UMD wellness director terminated

Retraction: The original version of the post immediately below erroneously described the accusations made against Rod Raymond. The post should have stated only that Raymond was accused of sexual harassment. The Daily hereby retracts the original description, and regrets the error.

The University of Minnesota – Duluth has terminated wellness director Rod Raymond after years of conflict stemming from accusations that Raymond sexually harassed two students.

Raymond has been on unpaid leave from the University upon his own request since October 2011, and was informed of the decision on April 25, the Duluth News Tribune reported.

In a statement from UMD, the Department of External Affairs said the termination is the result of “violating various University policies and procedures.”

The citations included violations of the Regent's policy on nepotism and personal relationships, inappropriate sexual conduct with a UMD student and untruthfulness during an Office of Equal Opportunity investigation.

A popular restaurant entrepreneur in Duluth, Raymond co-owns Fitger’s Brewhouse, Burrito Union, the Red Star Lounge and Tycoon’s Alehouse.

Raymond’s termination was effective May 9.

UMD said Raymond has the right to appeal the termination.

According to his attorney, Lindsay R.M. Jones, Raymond denies all of the violations.