House G.O.P. releases new budget spending targets

House Republicans released their budget plan Tuesday, which includes a $2 billion in unspecified tax 

cuts, according to the Star Tribune. 

The proposal is also $3 billion less than Gov. Mark Dayton’s plan, and reduces his request for additional 

new resources by $775 million, according to the Star Tribune.

House Ways and Means Chairman Jim Knoblach, R-St. Cloud, told the Star Tribune the Republican’s 

proposed budget would only allow for a tuition freeze at either the University of Minnesota or the 

Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system.

University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler said in a press release Tuesday that he is concerned there 

may not be enough money provided to continue a tuition freeze for the University resident 

undergraduate students, as well as offer a similar freeze for graduate students who pay in-state tuition.

“Our top priority this session has been tuition affordability for our students and their families,” Kaler 

said in the release. “In order to accomplish that shared goal, we need strong partnership from the 

Legislature. Funding is limited, but I will continue to advocate strongly for University of Minnesota 

students and their families.”

House Minority Leader Paul Thissen, DFL-Minneapolis, said in a press release the Republican’s plan 

shortchanges students.

“The biggest loser in the Republican budget is Minnesota kids. With a $2 billion surplus, we can do 

better – especially for our students on both ends of the spectrum, from our earliest learners who need a 

head start, to college students seeking an affordable education,” Thissen said in the release.