Wisconsin governor announces presidential bid

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker announced that he’s running for president in 2016, the Wisconsin State Journal reported.

Walker — who becomes the 15th prominent Republican to say he’ll seek his party’s nomination for President — officially announced his candidacy Monday morning in a video posted online, The New York Times reported.

“America needs new, fresh leadership with big, bold ideas from outside of Washington,” he said in the video posted on his website. “[In] Wisconsin, we didn’t nibble around the edges; we enacted big, bold reforms.”

Walker may be most well-known for repealing public employee labor unions’ collective bargaining abilities as a way to erase Wisconsin’s budget deficit — a move that drew sharp criticism from Democrats and labor union supporters, according to The New York Times.

“He can win the nomination if he runs as Scott Walker — the guy who stood up to the public sector unions and who’s tough enough to deal with those Democrats in Washington,” Andrew Smith, director of the University of New Hampshire Survey Center, told the Wisconsin State Journal.

Walker was first elected governor of Wisconsin in 2010 and survived a recall election in 2012 before again being elected to lead the state last year, according to his website.

After gathering with supporters in a Milwaukee suburb Monday night, Walker is slated to campaign in five other states throughout the week, the Washington Post reported.