Week in Review: 1/6 – 1/12

Although University of Minnesota students are still on break, many of the athletic teams were in action this week.  Catch up on how the Gophers fared:

Men's hockey: The men's hockey team defeated Penn State 3-2 on Sunday in University Park, Pa. Brady Skjei, Mike Reilly and Ben Marshall, all defensemen, scored for the Gophers in the victory. The Gophers and Nittany Lions will finish the series Monday night.

Women's hockey: The Gophers came away with a win and a tie/shootout loss against Ohio State at home this weekend. Friday night, sophomore forward Hannah Brandt recorded a hat trick in the team's 6-0 win. Saturday, the Buckeyes tied the game with under two minutes left in the third period. The game ended in a tie, but Ohio State won the nine-round shootout.

Men's basketball: Wednesday, the Gophers defeated Penn State on the road 68-65. DeAndre Mathieu led Minnesota with 16 points, but Malik Smith sealed the win with four free throws in the last 30 seconds of the game.  On Saturday, the Gophers fell to No. 5 Michigan State 87-75 in overtime. Minnesota struggled in the overtime period, and didn't score its first point until over four minutes in. 

Women's basketball: The Gophers fell 78-71 on Wednesday against Iowa despite 32 points from Rachel Banham and a 17 points and 15 rebounds from Amanda Zahui B. They bounced back Sunday with their first conference win of the season, a 94-59 victory against Northwestern. Again, Banham led the team with 28 points.

Wrestling: No. 2 Minnesota returned to action this week and beat both Northwestern and Wisconsin. The Gophers defeated No. 16 Northwestern on the road 26-12 on Friday and then dominated Wisconsin 28-6 on Sunday at home. Minnesota fell behind early Sunday but bounced back with eight straight bout wins to cap off the day. 

Women's swimming: The Gophers moved their record to 6-0 with a nonconference victory over the University of Hawaii in Honolulu, Hawaii. The team won all but one event, and racked up 164 points to Hawaii's 95. 

Men's swimming: The men's team also beat Hawaii on Saturday with a 171-87 victory. Like the women, the men won 13 of 14 events. Junior freestyle swimmer CJ Smith won both the 1000 and 500-yard free events for Minnesota.

Women's gymnastics: The women's gymnastics team finished first of three teams Saturday in its first meet of the season. Minnesota (194.425) defeated Air Force (190.625) and Lindenwood (185.625) at the meet. Minnesota Sophomore Lindsay Mable was the all-around champion with a score of 39.175.

Men's gymnastics: Minnesota hosted its annual exhibition alumni meet Saturday, and for the 47th straight year, the alumni came out on top. The team will officially begin its season Jan. 18 with the Windy City Invite.