This week in Gophers sports: August 3-10

Seven Gophers to play in Northwoods League Major League Dreams Showcase

On August 4, a record of seven Minnesota players will participate in the annual Northwoods League Major League Dreams Showcase in Madison, Wis.

Players are selected by a panel of major league scouts that oversee pregame workouts and a double header. Minnesota’s representatives will play in the first game at 4:05 p.m.

St. Cloud will send two of its Gophers to the showcase in Austin Athmann and Lucas Gilbreath.

Athmann was previously selected for the Northwoods League Homerun Challenge and has attained a .271 average in his 203 at-bats with the Rox this summer.

Lucas Gillbreath has a 2.0 ERA through 36 innings pitched with 43 strikouts.

The Willmar Stingers also have two players heading to Madison, Dan Motl and Eddie Estrada.

Motl recently participated in the Northwoods League All-Star Game, and currently leads the Stingers in doubles, triples, and walks. Motl currently

has a .315 batting average with Willmar.

Incoming freshman Eddie Estrada has been successful as Willimar’s designated hitter, earning a .345 average in 119 at-bats, with 26 RBIs.

Toby Anderson of the Duluth Huskies will also represent Minnesota at the showcase. Anderson has pitched 48 innings with 22 strikeouts and a 4.50 ERA.

Jordan Jess of the La Crosse Loggers has 30.2 innings pitched in the books heading into the showcase with 44 strikeouts and a 1.46 ERA.

Matt Fiedler rounds out the Gophers list. Fiedler has six homeruns and six doubles in his 135 at-bats with the Rochester Honkers, contributing to his .348 average.

Minnesota’s seven-man showing at the showcase is the most of any school. The Gophers also have the most players of any school participating in the league as a whole, with a total of 24.

Shae Kelley begins action with Lynx

Former Gophers forward Shae Kelley played her first regular-season game with the Minnesota Lynx on July 31.

Kelley played for four minutes during Friday’s victory over the Atlanta Dream.

In wake of roster shortages, Kelley is currently on a seven day contract with the team.

Though she didn’t play, Kelley was with the team for their 86-80 win over the Tulsa Shock on August 1. Tulsa is the new home of Kelley’s former Minnesota teammate Amanda Zahui B.

Zahui B. has been averaging 3.3 points per game in her first season with the shock.

Kelley also gets to play alongside Gophers great Lindsay Whalen with the Lynx.

Whalen is in her 11th pro season, averaging 12.6 goals per game. Whalen is Minnesota’s all-time scoring leader.   

Kill, Gophers attend Big Ten Media Days

Head football coach Jerry Kill and players Mitch Leidner, Briean Boddy-Calhoun and Theiren Cockran wrapped up Big Ten Media Days on July 31.

Coach Kill addressed the media on Friday, answering numerous questions about Leidner, the new facilities project, and the season opener against TCU.

Leidner, Boddy-Calhoun and Cockran were also available for questions in the afternoon.

Next up for Minnesota Football is fall camp, which begins on August 7.

Three fall camp practices will be open to the public on August 10, 11 and 14.

Fall camp will have the Gophers training and practicing for their first game against the No. 2-ranked Texas Christian University Horned Frogs at TCF Bank Stadium at 8 p.m.