By Kaitlin Merkel

Minnesota head coach Marlene Stollings said Sunday she wished she could have enjoyed redshirt senior guard Rachel Banham’s historic performance on Sunday.

Banham scored 60 points in the Gophers 112-106 comeback win against Northwestern in double overtime, breaking both a program and Big Ten record for points in a game, and tying the NCAA record. Cal State Long Beach’s Cindy Brown first set the NCAA record in 1987.

“I wish I could’ve sat and watched, but it was so intense at every possession,” Stollings said. “They kept telling me, ‘Rachel’s got 54, Rachel’s got 57.’ The coaches were calling it out and I was just so immersed with the moment of the game.”

Banham shot 19-32 on field goals in the game and scored 20 points in the first half, 22 in the second, and 18 in the two overtime periods.

She also shot 8-15 from three-point range, and made on 14 of 16 free throw attempts.

She hit two free throws with 11 seconds left in the game to tie the NCAA record.

“We literally just watched history, we’re never going to see anything like that ever again,” sophomore guard Carlie Wagner said Sunday. “There was just a few seconds left and Rachel hit another free throw … and I looked at [junior guard] Joanna Hedstrom and I’m like, ‘Rachel just scored 60 points.’”

Short on words directly after the game, Banham said Sunday she didn’t realize she was making history in the moment.

“I had no idea what the record was, where I was at, I was just really in the zone and I was really focused on just beating them,” Banham said. “I was just in the groove, I just was feeling it and just trying to take over the game … I will definitely not forget this day.”