The Gophers will sit three of their guards Sunday night against Illinois.

The team announced before the game sophomore Nate Mason and freshmen Kevin Dorsey and Dupree McBrayer will not play due to a violation of team rules.

"With the privilege of being a member of the University of Minnesota basketball program there are expectations and standards to which we hold our student-athletes accountable, and they have failed to do so," head coach Richard Pitino said in a statement.

Mason and McBrayer are both starters for the Gophers, and Mason is the team's leading scorer. Dorsey averages 18.2 minutes per game off the bench, and was also suspended for the team's second exhibition game this year against Southwest Minnesota State.

The benching of the three guards leaves Minnesota with only 10 eligible players against the Illini. Three of those players, Mike Lukashewich, Stephon Sharp, and Darin Haugh, have played a combined 42 minutes this season. Sharp accounts for 39 of those minutes.

The three players being forced to sit follows the dismisall of senior guard Carlos Morris on Feb. 17, also for a violation of team rules. Minnesota and Illinois are set to tip-off at 7 p.m. Sunday in Champaign, Ill. in the Gophers third-to-last game of the regular season. Minnesota has won its last two games leading up to Sunday's contest.