Zhou wins diver of the week

By Tommy Jaakola

Junior diver Yu Zhou won her eighth Big Ten diver of the week award on Wednesday, after a strong showing at the Big Ten Triple Dual in Evanston, Ill.

She won both the three-meter and one-meter dive at the meet, scoring 370.40 and 296.45 points in each event, respectively. Zhou is the reigning Big Ten diver of the year and has won a weekly award 11 times.

"As we get ready here for the conference championships and the NCAA’s we’re going to need really big swims from a lot of people and big dives from a lot of people," head coach Kelly Kremer said earlier this week.

Whalen at practice Tuesday

Practice on Tuesday featured an extra challenge for the Gophers women's basketball team: Lindsay Whalen.

The three-time WNBA champion with the Minnesota Lynx and former Gophers guard was on the Williams Arena court with the team at practice, getting a workout during her offseason.

"It’s very nice having her come in to practice with us and just to see her competitive spirit," Minnesota head coach Marlene Stollings said. "She’s an Olympian and obviously won WNBA championships and to have that in at practice is great for our young ladies to go against."

Gophers soccer signs eight

The Minnesota soccer team, which won an NCAA tournament game this season for the first time since 2010, added eight players on Wednesday.

The team announced the signings of Cherry Mae Fast, Haley Mennes, Taylor Beitz, Catherin Billings, Nikki Albrecht, Marisa Windingstad, Maya Rajacich and TJ McKendrick on National Signing Day.

"We have players coming in for every area on the field and we know there will be some who will be ready to contribute right away and they will all grow tremendously over their time here," head coach Stefanie Golan said in a statement. "We feel that they all fit our culture as well as the way we want to play, so we cannot wait to welcome them to campus."

Beitz is a goalkeeper, Rajacich is a forward, McKendrick is a midfielder and Billings, Albrecht, and Windingstad are defenders. Fast's position is still to be determined and Mennes' is undetermined.