Senior guard Carlos Morris' playing days at Minnesota have ended early.

Head coach Richard Pitino announced on Wednesday that Morris was dismissed from the Gophers basketball program due to "conduct detrimental to the team."

Morris, one of only two seniors on the team's roster this year, averaged 9.8 points and 3.7 rebounds this season. He started 16 of 24 games this season but has largely been coming off the bench since freshman Dupree McBrayer replaced him in the starting lineup Jan. 12 at Nebraska.

He was a junior college transfer from Chipola College last season, and started 25 of 33 games while averaging 11.1 points and 3.2 rebounds. The Apalachicola, Fla. native also was third on the team in steals last year with 58.

The highlight of his time at Minnesota came against Michigan State last year, when he made a three-point shot with 2.2 seconds remaining in regulation to tie the game. The Gophers won the game in overtime 96-90 and Morris led the team with 20 points. Moments like that didin't come too often for the guard though, who Pitino often said had defensive lapses and issues with shot selection.

The Gophers have five games remaining in the regular season before the Big Ten tournament. Minnesota's next game is Feb. 18 against Maryland at Williams Arena.