The University of Minnesota's longest-tenured head coach will be sticking around a little longer.

Interim athletics director Beth Goetz announced on Friday that Gophers baseball head coach John Anderson agreed to a contract extension through the 2021 season. Anderson is seven games into his 35th season with the program and has only two losing campaigns on his record.

"We are excited that Coach Anderson has agreed to another long-term contract," Goetz said in a statement. "John is a well-respected and natural leader of young men. I look forward to our team's continued success in the classroom and on the field under Coach Anderson."

Anderson took over the program in 1981 and is the all-time winningest coach in school and Big Ten history with an overall record of 1,177-804-3 (528-323 Big Ten). The Gophers have won nine regular season conference titles and nine Big Ten tournament titles under his direction, with the last ones coming in 2010.

"I'm grateful for the opportunity to continue to lead the tradition-rich Golden Gopher Baseball Program at the University of Minnesota," Anderson said in a statement. "I look forward to continuing the mentoring of our student-athletes so they can become champions both on and off the field."

The Gophers have started the 2016 season 5-2 and will play Georgia State at 3 p.m. Friday afternoon.