Guards Kevin Dorsey, Nate Mason, and Dupree McBrayer will not play for the Gophers for the rest of the season.

Head coach Richard Pitino announced on Tuesday the three players were suspended for the remainder of the season. The guards were previously suspended for one game on Sunday for violating team rules and did not play in the team's game against Illinois.

"We do our best to continue to consistently teach, educate and serve all of our student-athletes," Pitino said in a statement Tuesday. "It's a privilege to be a member of the University of Minnesota basketball program - something as a coaching staff we do not take lightly and that we stress daily to our student athletes. In this instance, these student-athletes failed to meet the standards we have set."

The University said on Monday it could not release additional information about the suspensions Sunday due to it being private educational data. The Associated Press reported on Monday, citing a person with knowledge of the discipline, that the three players were suspended due to a sexually explicit video which appeared on Dorsey's Twitter and Instagram accounts. Dorsey has since deleted his accounts.

Mason is the Gophers leading scorer this season, averaging 13.8 points per game. McBrayer started 14 of the team's 27 games and averages 5.9 points per game. Dorsey played in 26 games and averaged 6.8 points.

"Coach Pitino and I have had extensive discussions during the last several days, and I support his decision to suspend three student athletes for the remainder of the season," interim athletics director Beth Goetz said in a statement. "The privilege of representing the University of Minnesota comes with great responsibility and we hold all of our student-athletes accountable."

The suspensions for the three players comes on the heels of Pitino's dismissal of senior guard Carlos Morris from the program Feb. 17. After Morris' dismissal and the three suspensions the Gophers roster will be thin for the rest of the season. Walk-on guard Stephon Sharp started for Minnesota Sunday against Illinois.