By Mike Hendrickson

Hudson Fasching singed an entry level contract with the Buffalo Sabres on Monday, forgoing his senior season at Minnesota.

The forward led the Gophers in goals as a junior with 20 and finished with 46 in his three-year career.

Fasching scored 94 points in 115 games at Minnesota, and set a career-high in points as a junior with 38. His career year caused the assistant captain to be named to the All-Big Ten Second Team this season.

“While I’m excited for the next phase of my hockey career with the Buffalo Sabres, I will always be proud of what we accomplished in my three years here,” Fasching said in a statement. “I have so many great memories as a Gopher, and I want to thank my teammates, the staff and our fans for such a wonderful opportunity.”

Fasching was drafted in the fourth round of the 2013 NHL Draft by the Los Angeles Kings but his rights were traded to the Sabres in 2014.

If he plays for the Sabres before the season is over he would become the 19th Minnesota alumni to play for an NHL team this season.

The Sabres are currently 29-34-10 and have the third-fewest points in the Eastern Conference.

“Hudson showed us the kind of player he can be during his college career and we are pleased to sign him,” Sabres General Manager Tim Murray said in a statement. “We believe he has the potential to be an effective NHL player and wanted to bring him in as soon as possible.”