Disney to premiere spin-off series “Girl Meets World”

“And if in the end we end up together, it’s beautiful.”

Cue tears as Danielle Fishel delivered one of Topanga’s most memorable lines in an early episode of “Boy Meets World” (before we knew that Topanga and Cory really do end up getting married).

But you know what’s even more beautiful? This year, the Disney Channel is set to debut its “Boy Meets World” spin-off, “Girl Meets World,” which follows the lives of Cory and Topanga, played again by Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel, and their daughter named Riley, played by Rowan Blanchard.

Now for all of you original BMW fans, this may be old news. Word began spreading about the show long ago and the Disney Channel posted on Instagram a sneak peek of one of the episodes this past week.

People often compare Disney’s current shows with the ones from the ‘90s and early 2000s. If you’re talking to a millennial, chances are they will tell you that Disney has “run out of good shows” since they were watching. Will “Girl Meets World” be the antidote to Disney’s said plague?

It’s hard to say whether the older shows are actually better material than what those darn kids are watching now-a-days, or if nostalgia is putting an extra shine on them. Regardless, “Boy Meets World” certainly had its own charm that kept the series running for seven years, and remains revered in the DVD collections of millennials.

The target audience will be a key factor in the show’s outcome.  Whether or not “Girl Meets World” will need to recreate the same type of “Fee-he-he-he-he-ny”  quirkiness as its predecessor depends on if it’s meant to please the young-un’s while they’re not watching “A.N.T. Farm” or “Dog with a Blog,” or if it’s also designed to satisfy the young adults who grew up with the parent series.

Only time will tell if “Girl Meets World” can develop an appeal similar to that of the hilarious, authentic coming of age stories of Cory, Topanga and Shawn. Until then, I’ll be tracking down gems like this one to tide me over.