The fashionista is in (SS15): mid-week highlights

The Spring 2015 Ready-to-Wear shows in New York are a mash-up of colorful garden ornaments on ‘60s suburban astroturf lawns and old-school preppy beach playwear so far.

Isa Arfen conjures Edward Scissorhands’ eerily manicured colorblocked suburb. Prim silhouettes and bright colors construct a candy-stained suburbia. Glamorous poofy sleeves, geometric sunglasses and capes add mystery and drama in place of Scissorhands himself. Papery fringe recalls vintage materials.

Novis and Charlotte Ronson are ready for a playful retro picnic. Novis evokes Matisse with intelligent blues and oranges and shapes reminiscent of his paper cut-outs. Graphic prints and shoes add some braininess. Charlotte Ronson uses a quieter, more feminine palette, but with similarly adolescent construction. The best part is that the models are wearing Teva-style sandals. Sporty sandals with streetwear are finally getting some validation.

The subdued colors and roomier contours of Rachel Comey, M Missoni, and Band of Outsiders create a beachier, more laid-back aesthetic. Rachel Comey looks like a well-curated thriftstore haul with antique one-of-a-kinds and repurposed bygones. M Missoni looks like a hip mom vacationing in the Mediterranean. Band of Outsiders is cool and boxy for angsty Hamptons-bound teens.

Also see Cut25 and Sachin & Babi for cool summer-in-the-city girls borrowing bohemian red-and-white prints, textured fabrics, and athletic cuts from SoCal surfers.