hey… ive got a goat story for you

I had to respond to an email with the subject, “hey cecilia… ive got a goat story for you.”

I hoped Minneapolis had lifted its ban on goats and someone was making a mean urban-backyard cheese, but sadly, that day has not come. Instead, the writer of the email was referring to his dinner series which features several goat-based dishes, including Isi Ewu (stewed goats head.)

The tour (and a forthcoming brick-and-mortar establishment) are called “LAGOS” after the city in Nigeria, restaurateur Tunde Wey’s hometown.

Wey immigrated at the age of 16 and has since established himself in Detroit’s food scene.

While he “love[s] a delicious shaved brussels sprout salad with confit duck leg, as much as the next dude,” Wey cherishes an unpretentious style of cooking. He introduces LAGOS on his website as the food he grew up eating, “it's hearty, sloppy, spicy, greasy, and f****** delicious. it's not camera-ready, at all– there's no instagram filter that could save a plate of fufu, sorry it's always going to look weird, but that's ok.” Regardless of appearance, you can follow Wey’s project and view his dishes on instagram.

With LAGOS, Wey seeks to introduce Nigerian cuisine to major U.S. cities, including New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, New Orleans and Minneapolis.

During our email exchange, Wey pitched his event as a “a great place for a first date” for University students, “because nigerian food is popularly considered aphrodisiacal– obviously i'm making that up, or am i? i guess folks will just have to wait and see :).”

Menu:

JOLLOF RICE/ RICE PILAF

ASUN/ PEPPERED GOAT MEAT

GOAT PEPPER SOUP

EGUSI/ MELON SEED + SPINACH STEW

ISI EWU/ STEWED GOAT HEAD

DODO/ FRIED PLANTAINS

Location:

THE THIRD BIRD (1612 Harmon Pl, Minneapolis)

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 11, 2014

6:30 PM

Price: $45 (purchase tickets here.)