A conglomeration of national and local politics, Minnesota to Washington and, yes, even Wall Street to Main Street. Filed Under Politics aims to aggregate and contextualize political news for the political junkie in you.
Wed, 4/9, 5:35pm (5 months ago)
[View the story "April's Kickin' it with Kaler" on Storify] …
Wed, 4/9, 4:55pm (5 months ago)
MinnRoast may be a bit more operationally excellent this year when University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler takes the stage. Kaler will participate in MinnPost's seventh annual song-and-skit variety show at the State Theatre on April 25. He'll join other Minnesota big-names, including Gov. Mark Dayton, Sen. Al Franken and Minneapolis Mayor…
Tue, 2/18, 4:37pm (6 months ago)
Yesterday marked the five-year anniversary of President Obama signing into law the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, a $830 billion bill that, according to the Wall Street Journal, was created with the intention to stop unemployment from rising above 8 percent. Despite high expectations when the bill was originally…
Sat, 10/12, 11:11pm (11 months ago)
Congress members' third consecutive working Saturday of the government shutdown ended in foul moods as negotiations continued with no end in sight, news sources reported. Senators Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell began talks about ending the shutdown and raising the debt ceiling as negotiations between House Republicans and the White House collapsed,…
Tue, 10/8, 4:06pm (11 months ago)
U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison, DFL-Minneapolis, was arrested Tuesday during a protest on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. Ellison sat down on Independence Avenue with other members of Congress during the march toward the Capitol, according to the Star Tribune.  He was arrested at about 4 p.m., they reported. Six other U.S. Representatives were arrested at…
Tue, 10/1, 6:56pm (11 months ago)
Backers of Minneapolis mayoral candidates Betsy Hodges and Mark Andrew formed independent expenditure groups days apart, the Star Tribune reported. According to election guidelines, contributers can only donate up to $500 directly to candidates' campaigns, but can make unlimited donations to the new support groups. Although the groups cannot give money directly to the candidates,…
Mon, 9/23, 9:14pm (11 months ago)
University of Minnesota students can meet Minneapolis mayoral and city council candidates, register to vote and learn about the ranked-choice voting system Tuesday, Sept. 24 at Northrop Plaza The Minnesota Public Interest Research Group is partnering with the Minnesota Student Association and FairVote Minnesota to host the second annual Voterpalooza. The groups…
Thu, 9/5, 4:30pm (12 months ago)
Starting 6 p.m. Friday, University of Minnesota students can ride transit for free by showing their U-cards, according to a press release from the Metro Transit. Free rides will be offered from the Apple Valley Transit Station to the Mall of America and from there to Target Field Station on the city's…
Thu, 8/29, 12:26am (1 year ago)
State legislators met Wednesday to discuss a disaster relief bill that would provide aid for areas in Minnesota affected by severe summer storms. The legislation would authorize the state, in concert with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to issue $18 million for 18 counties throughout the state. Kris Eide, director of Minnesota's Homeland…
Sun, 4/21, 6:28pm (1 year ago)
Gov. Mark Dayton is purposing to increase the state's higher education funding by $260 million, which includes more money for the University of Minnesota, despite the instiution's alleged administrative bloat.  University graduate Rep. Steve Simon, DFL-Hopkins[J1]  said the controversy surrounding the institution’s spending makes legislators, who support the increased funding, “look…
Fri, 3/15, 12:29am (1 year ago)
Gov. Mark Dayton's proposal to expand the state's sales tax was scrapped and he wants to increase income taxes on the wealthiest of Minnesotans to make up the difference in revenue. The latest budget plan presented Thursday, which is a much milder version of the DFL governor's plan that was announced…
Tue, 3/12, 1:08am (1 year ago)
Rep. Glenn Gruenhagen, R-Glencoe, one of the most vocal opponents of same-sex marriage in the Minnesota Legislature, is facing criticism after introducing his friend, Kevin Petersen, as someone who has "exited the gay lifestyle." Monday, the Representative made controversial comments by using "a point of personal privilege" on the House floor. "The interesting thing…
Thu, 3/7, 3:48pm (1 year ago)
  Senate has just confirmed that John Brennan is the new CIA chief. Brennan’s new position comes after an almost 13-hour filibuster by Kentucky Senator Rand Paul (R). Senator Paul started the filibuster to ask the Obama administration about their policy concerning drones. He demanded to get a statement from the administration stating…
Wed, 3/6, 3:05pm (1 year ago)
Minnesota College Republicans Chairman Ryan Lyk announced his support for the legalization of same-sex marriage Wednesday. The two-term chairman said it's time for the Republican party to get past the issue. "It is not the role of government to dictate who can be married, whose love is valid, and which families matter…
Mon, 3/4, 2:46pm (1 year ago)
President Barack Obama nominated three new advisors to lead the Energy Department, Engironmental Protection Agency, and budget office Monday afternoon during the first Cabinet meeting of his second term, the Associated Press reported. Two of the nominees will focus on tackling the threat of climate change. Obama nominated current EPA official…