Obama nominates 3 cabinet members

President Barack Obama nominated three new advisors to lead the Energy Department, Engironmental Protection Agency, and budget office Monday afternoon during the first Cabinet meeting of his second term, the Associated Press reported.

Two of the nominees will focus on tackling the threat of climate change. Obama nominated current EPA official Gina McCarthy to lead the agency and MIT scientist Ernest Moniz to run the Energy Department.

"They're going to be making sure we're investing in American energy, that we're doing everything we can to combat the threat of climate change, that we're going to be creating jobs and economic opportunity," Obama said of McCarthy and Moniz. "They are going to be a great team."

Obama also nominated Sylvia Mathews Burwell as his budget chief. Burwell, the president of the Walmart Foundation, will step into the role amid heated budget battles with Congressional Republicans.

The nominations came days after the president and Congress failed to deter the $85 billion in automatic spending cuts that started taking effect Friday. Obama has warned about the economic consequences that could result from the cuts, but the White House does not want the issue to overshadow other priorities such as top job nominations, stricter gun laws, and immigration reform.

All three nominees must be confirmed by the Senate.