Congress morale low after House Republicans’ talks with White House fail

Congress members' third consecutive working Saturday of the government shutdown ended in foul moods as negotiations continued with no end in sight, news sources reported.

Senators Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell began talks about ending the shutdown and raising the debt ceiling as negotiations between House Republicans and the White House collapsed, the New York Times reported. 

The road block comes just five days before the country reaches its borrowing limit, and there is little doubt that action to reopen the federal bureaucracy will come from the Senate, the New York Times reported.

House Republicans voted midday and left Washington until Monday, expressing anger that President Barack Obama had pushed them aside in favor of negotiating with Senate Republicans, the Washington Post reported. 

“They’re trying to cut the House out, and trying to jam us with the Senate. We’re not going to roll over and take that,” House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said, the Washington Post reported.

Senate majority leader Reid and minority leader McConnell met Saturday morning for what they called a constructive first step toward talks that would continue throughout the weekend, the New York Times reported. 

Their meeting told of how urgent the situation had become, the New York Times reported.

“I hope that our talking is some solace to the American people and the world,” Reid said, the New York Times reported.