Board of Regents responds to professors’ letter

Every day the number of Regents professors who have signed the letter asking to postpone the Graduate School reconstruction rises. The Board of Regents, however, will not be acting on their request. In an e-mailed response to the Regents professors, Board Chair Patricia Simmons said the reconstruction is not something the board can make decisions on, although they do understand the professors’ concern over the administration’s lack of transparency over the reconstruction. “This item was presented to the Board for information and not for action, as it is an administrative reorganization and not an action that ends programs,” Simmons said. “We recognize that consultation has been a hallmark of this University for many years and especially so for those leaders – the faculty, the administration, and the Board Regents – who share governance.” President Bob Bruininks and Senior Vice Provost Tom Sullivan told the Board of Regents Friday they intended to contact the Regents professors directly, Simmons said in the letter. As of Tuesday night, 23 Regents professors had signed the letter to the Board of Regents. In total, there are 27 current Regents professors, 16 of whom have now signed the letter. Seven retired Regents professors also have signed.