Daily Digest: Britain and Breivik

Here’s your Daily Digest for Wednesday, Nov. 30:

Britain cuts diplomatic ties with Iran

In the wake of an attack Tuesday on its embassy in Tehran, British officials evacuated staff from Iran’s capital city and forced Iranian diplomats out of their own embassy in London Wednesday.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague suggested to Parliament that Iranian officials knew of and may have even consented to Tuesday’s attack, in which crowds of Iranians raided the embassy’s compound and burned British flags, according to Reuters.

Hague said it was “fanciful” to think that the assault could have taken place without “some degree of regime consent.”

The incident comes as relations between Iran and the West have suffered due to fears that the Middle Eastern country is working secretly on a nuclear program.

Norwegian assassin declared insane

The man responsible for the summer killings of more than 75 fellow Norwegians, many of them teenagers, has been declared criminally insane.

Court-appointed psychiatrists’ finding that Anders Behring Breivik is mentally unsound means that rather than spending his life behind bars, he could be committed to a mental institution.

“The conclusion is … that he is insane,” Svein Holden, the prosecutor in Breivik’s case, said at a news conference. The diagnosis was paranoid schizophrenia. “He lives in his own delusional universe and his thoughts and acts are governed by this universe,” Holden said.

Holden said psychiatrists found that Breivik was psychotic at the time of his attacks. The 32-year-old confessed to orchestrating the bombing of a government building in Oslo that killed eight, and gunning down 69 more at a youth camp on the island of Utoya – both on July 22.

Nov. 30 in history:

-1954: A softball-sized meteorite strikes Ann Elizabeth Hodges as she naps in her Oak Grove, Ala. home – the only known incident of an extraterrestrial object injuring a human being.

-1982: Michael Jackson releases Thriller, which would go on to become the best-selling album of all time.