Sec. of State offers alternative to Voter ID

Minnesota Secretary of State Mark Ritchie proposed electronic poll books on Friday during a Senate hearing to counter a Republican backed Voter ID plan, according to MinnPost.

During the hearing, Ritchie said electronic poll books would eradicate voter fraud.

Ritchie said that the electronic system wouldn’t require voters to bring a government ID because poll workers could look at official photos in the state system.

The system would allow poll workers to verify voter identification on printouts or electronic devices that have driver’s license photos and photos taken during voter registration.

The proposed Voter ID plan would require voters to show a government ID in order to vote. Proponents of the Voter ID plan argue that this will eliminate voter fraud.

Opponents of the proposed Voter ID plan argue that the plan makes it more difficult for students, elderly and poor individuals to vote, because voters would have to obtain and display government identification.

The Voter ID bill would amend the state constitution. If the bill is passed, voters would get the opportunity to decide if individuals should be required to show a photo identification at the polls in November.

Ritchie said the electronic poll book system would cost $10 million, where as the Voter ID system would cost an estimated $40 million.