Central Corridor to get new marketing

Central Corridor business will soon have a new marketing push.

St. Paul-based MOD & Co., an advertising agency, was contracted in May to market the corridor by the city on behalf of the Met Council, the Pioneer Press said.

The new $1.2 million campaign, which will surface sometime around July 10, is expected to be more targeted than the “Discover Central Corridor” coupon books, discount card and ad campaign from a year ago.

This time around, the aim is to spotlight and talk up “businesses you won’t find anywhere else in the Twin Cities.” 

Sean McDonnell, a public relations rep working with MOD & Co. on the marketing push, said the idea is to break up the 11-mile stretch of light rail corridor into eight “nodes,” or business districts, each with its own brand or logo.

Visually, the campaign will feature bus-side and bus shelter ads, targeted ads in mainstream and ethnic media, social media ads, and some selective video ads on cable TV, the Press said.

MOD & Co. plans to unveil a Central Corridor map and guidebook, which may include coupons.

Though the company said it has done its research so far to meet with local restaurants and retailers, more is expected to come to see if the two-year marketing effort is making a difference in consumer behavior.

Many business owners impacted by the construction hope the move will pay off despite the heaviest aspects of the light rail construction more than half over, McDonnell said.

“That’s a valid concern,” he said.  “That’s a question I might be asking if I were a business owner.  We’ve really tried to hit the ground running.”