Man charged in killing of Little Falls teens

A man was charged Monday for shooting and killing two Little Falls teenagers in his home on Thanksgiving Day. 

Richard David Smith, 64, of Belle Prarie Township faces two counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of of Nicholas Brady, 17, and Haile Kifer, 18, the St. Paul Pioneer Press said.

According to the criminal complaint, Smith said he was sitting in his basement on Thanksgiving when he heard a window break upstairs and then saw a man walking down the stairs. 

Smith said he shot the man, later identified as Brady, in the legs, causing him to fall down the stairs. He said he then shot Brady in the face, klling him. 

After he dragged Brady's body into his basement workshop, he said he sat down in his chair again. 

A few minutes later, he said he saw Kifel walking down the stairs towards him. He shot her in the legs as well and she fell to the ground, laughing, before he said he shot her "more times than [he] needed to" in the chest. 

He placed Kifel next to Brady's body and then shot her under the chin, he said. 

A concerned neighbor called police Friday afternoon, telling them he was concerned Smith had killed someone in his home, KSTP reported

Police arrived at Smith's home shortly afterward, and he admitted to killing Brady and Kifel, police said. Police arrested him immediately and he appeared in court Monday. 

Morrison County Sheriff Michel Wetzel said Smith did not call the police because he did not want to bother them on a holiday. 

Minnesota law allows people to use deadly force, if necessary, during home break-ins, but Wetzel said Smith broke the law when he shot the two teens after the threat had passed. 

Smith's next court date has not been set.