Minneapolis awaits Final Four announcement

Minneapolis will find out tonight if it will host one of four Final Four basketball tournaments between 2017 and 2020, the Star Tribune reported.

Hosted in the new Vikings Stadium, the event would accompany other big-name functions at the facility, including the 2018 Super Bowl.

The Final Four bid, which was presented to the NCAA on Tuesday according to the Minnesota Daily, could boost Minnesota’s economy by millions.

Members of Minneapolis’ bid steering committee seem hopeful. Michele Kelm-Helgen, steering committee spokeswoman and Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority chairwoman said in an interview with the Tribune, “the presentation went off flawlessly” Tuesday afternoon.

The steering committee is bidding for 2018-2020 with other large events such as 2016 Ryder Cup and 2018 Super Bowl in mind, the Tribune reported.

But they’re not stopping there. The committee is examining the potential to host more events in the future, including the Frozen Four, Kelm-Helgen told the Daily.

Minnesota has hosted three Final Fours in the past, the last in 2001, according to the Daily.

Minneapolis is competing against New Orleans, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Dallas, Phoenix, San Antonio and St. Louis, the Tribune reported. Results will be televised tonight at 4:30 p.m.