Construction on athletic facilities to being by September

By Logan Wroge

Construction on the University of Minnesota’s “Athletes Village” project must begin no later than this September.

The $190 million plan is having $150 million fast-tracked to fund practice facilities for the football and men’s and women’s basketball teams as well as a new study center for all student athletes, according to the Star Tribune.

“The [fundraising] campaign is still $190 million, and that won’t change,” Chris Werle, senior associate athletic director told the Star Tribune. “We’re finding ways to do things more economically and hopefully quicker.”

The academic facility, or the Center for Excellence, will serve all University student athletes. A portion of the plan received a $25 million donation from Land O’Lakes in September and is expected to begin serving students in fall 2016, according to the Star Tribune.

The project will be completed no later than July 2017, according to the Pioneer Press, and head coach of the Minnesota Golden Gophers football team, Jerry Kill, said he want to see work start in April.

The plans include a renovation of the football team’s Gibson-Nagurski practice facility that will cater to the needs of soccer, baseball, golf and other sports teams, according to the Star Tribune.

Construction bids for the project must be submitted by Feb. 9 with the University’s decision to come by March 2, according to the Star Tribune.