New study using new definition of Alcohol Use Disorder shows that number affected has increased

A new government study revealed today that 14 percent of US adults are affected by Alcohol Use Disorder.

AUD is defined by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition, a universally accepted source of psychological diagnoses, as a persistent desire to consume alcohol, consuming regularly, and unsuccessful attempts to change these behaviors, among other symptoms.

At the University of Minnesota, 72 percent of students on campus reported current alcohol use, according to the 2013 College Student Health Survey. In that survey, females reported drinking three percent more than males did.

The study published in the journal JAMA Psychiatry said that the condition affects 33 million people in the US.

In 2012-2013, the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism directed the survey, asking 36,000 people in the nation over the age of 18 about their alcohol use.

High rates of alcohol use were seen in low-income adults who were unmarried and under the age of 30, said the Star Tribune.

Males were also found to have a higher prevalence of AUD than females, with the study reporting that about 18 percent of males were found to have 12-month alcohol use disorder, whereas only about 10 percent of females did.

These numbers were an increase from past years. The previous definition of AUD used in surveys in past years showed lower percentages of the disorder.