Soccer officials say stadium could find a home in St. Paul

Major League Soccer set its eyes on St. Paul Wednesday in an effort to get a franchise to Minnesota. The league was originally looked at Minneapolis as the site for their soccer stadium, the Star Tribune reported.

The deadline for Minnesota United to have plans for a soccer stadium in place passed on July 1, according to NBC Sports.

Minnesota was awarded a team three months ago, Kare 11 reported.

The stadium was originally proposed to be located between the Minneapolis Farmer’s market and Target Field, close to Target Center. The Pohlads and Glen Taylor own the Target stadiums’ home teams. They are a part of the soccer club’s ownership group, Kare 11 reported.

MLS Deputy Commissioner Mark Abbott said in a radio interview that the league wasn’t extending its July 1 deadline, but he left the possibility for Minneapolis to put together a last-minute big open.

Abbott’s comments lend weight to St. Paul’s chances of hosting the stadium, which just this summer opened a baseball stadium for the St. Paul Saints, the Star Tribune reported.

St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman has expressed interest in being the home of Minnesota United, Kare 11 reported, and MLS executives will visit with St. Paul officials this month.

The St. Paul locations in discussion are off Snelling and University avenues and near the State Capitol where a Sears store currently lays, the Star Tribune reported