Upon Further Review has everything you ever wanted to know about Gophers athletics (and then some). The Daily’s Sports team brings in-depth analysis, live blogs of Minnesota game days as well as any extra tidbits of information to help fans get their Gophers sports fix.
Mon, 6/29, 5:44pm (5 days ago)
Northwoods League action continues through holiday weekend With the Fourth of July this weekend, most athletes receive the week off of competition. But not the Northwoods League, including many Gophers’ baseball players. If you are heading out of town to the Rochester of Duluth areas of Minnesota, there will be games all…
Tue, 6/16, 6:18pm (2 weeks ago)
Incoming freshman guard Jarvis Johnson will not be medically cleared to play basketball at the University of Minnesota. Johnson will still accept his scholarship and remain a part of the basketball program, according to a university athletic department release. “Unfortunately, Jarvis Johnson will not be playing on our team this season,” head…
Mon, 6/15, 9:11pm (3 weeks ago)
With the completion of the NCAA Track and Field Championships last Saturday , the book can officially be closed on the 2014-15 Gophers season . At the track championships, 11 athletes represented the Gophers with eight of those individuals earning All-American honors including Minnesota’s 4x400-meter women’s relay team. With now every Gophers’…
Thu, 6/11, 2:42pm (3 weeks ago)
After starting three seniors for most of the 2014-15 season, the Minnesota men’s basketball team will begin a youth movement next year.   Seven recruits will arrive on campus for the first time June 15, meaning the team’s roster will look very different than a season ago.   “I’ve been a coaching high-major basketball…
Tue, 6/9, 5:43pm (4 weeks ago)
By Emily Polglaze  Two Gopher freshmen participate in NHL Draft Combine: June 1-6/June 26 Some late-week action in men’s hockey took place as two incoming freshmen participated in the NHL Scouting Combine in Buffalo, New York, June 1-6. Forward Tom Novak and defenseman Jack Sadek were both invited to the combine in preparation…
Fri, 6/5, 4:52pm (4 weeks ago)
After eight stops in four days, the Gopher Road Trip: Chalk Talk 2015 is complete.   Athletic Director Norwood Teague and many Minnesota coaches made appearances across the state during the two-week period, to interact with fans.   The Minnesota Daily attended the trip’s final event in Hutchinson, Minn., and picked up pieces of…
Tue, 6/2, 8:26pm (1 month ago)
Welcome to the Minnesota Daily sport’s newest summer blog series, ‘This week in Gophers’ sports.’ Each week, we will inform you on all the important events regarding Gophers’ athletics.   In our first installment, Gophers fans will have plenty to look forward too including a certain top draft pick returning to town.…
Tue, 5/26, 6:16pm (1 month ago)
With two seniors penciled in as starters on the Gophers frontcourt, men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino added more depth for the future. Pitino announced the addition of forward Davonte Fitzgerald on Tuesday, who will transfer from Texas A&M. The 6’7, 209-pound Fitzgerald played two seasons for the Aggies, but will sit out…
Sat, 5/2, 5:35pm (2 months ago)
Damien Wilson was sitting with his family in Mississippi on Saturday afternoon eating chips and watching television when his phone started buzzing.  The former Gophers linebacker didn’t recognize the number calling, but when he answered a familiar sports figure was on the line: Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. “I just had to…
Thu, 4/16, 9:07pm (3 months ago)
While many Minnesotans had their eyes glued to their television sets to watch the Wild start their playoff series with the St. Louis Blues, former Minnesota Gophers center Amanda Zahui B. was drafted second overall to the Tulsa Shock in the WNBA draft. Zahui B. absolutely shot up draft boards…
Thu, 4/16, 11:17am (3 months ago)
UPDATED 12:20 with information that Warning attended a Washington Capitals development camp in the summer of 2014. Sam Warning is on his way to a reunion with one of his former roommates. The former Gopher forward signed an amateur try-out agreement with the Hershey Bears, the AHL affiliate of the Washington Capitals,…
Wed, 4/1, 11:16pm (3 months ago)
The Gophers will have a new face in net next season. Junior goaltender Adam Wilcox signed a two year entry-level contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning Wednesday night, and will report to the team's AHL affiliate, the Syracuse Crunch, on an amateur tryout agreement. Wilcox was drafted by the Lightning in…
Wed, 4/1, 1:06pm (3 months ago)
Updated at 3:20 p.m. with statement from Skjei. The Gophers have their first early departure of the last two years. Junior defenseman Brady Skjei will forego his senior season after agreeing to an entry-level contract with the New York Rangers on Wednesday. The news was first reported by Let's Play Hockey. Skjei was…
Tue, 3/31, 10:06am (3 months ago)
Mr. Boyd is going to Washington. Senior forward Travis Boyd became the third Gophers senior to sign a professional contract on Tuesday, when the Washington Capitals announced they signed Boyd to a two-year, entry-level contract. Boyd will report to the Hershey Bears of the AHL on a tryout agreement. "I couldn't have…
Sun, 3/29, 12:22pm (3 months ago)
Kyle Rau is on his way to reuniting with former roommate Nick Bjugstad. The Gophers former senior captain signed an entry level deal with the Florida Panthers on Sunday, the team announced. Rau, a forward who was drafted by the Panthers in the 3rd round - 91st overall - in the…