Upon Further Review has everything you ever wanted to know about Gophers athletics (and then some). The Daily’s Sports team brings in-depth analysis, live blogs of Minnesota game days as well as any extra tidbits of information to help fans get their Gophers sports fix.
Thu, 1/29, 12:03pm (1 day ago)
With National Signing Day less than a week away, Jerry Kill and the Gophers have just received a commitment from their biggest recruit in the class of 2015 thus far. Two days ago, safety Dior Johnson was a verbally committed member of Wake Forest’s recruiting class. Now, as of Wednesday night,…
Wed, 1/28, 5:28pm (2 days ago)
Senior defenseman Ben Marshall said after the Gophers got swept in the North Star College Cup they would need to forget the whole tournament. After a few days to reflect on the tournament, he provided an update on how that was going. "Good. It’s Wednesday," Marshall said. "Couple good days of practice.…
Wed, 1/28, 1:19pm (2 days ago)
Freshman Grace Coughlin will become the Gophers' third departure from the team, according to a Pioneer Press blog. Coughlin appeared in only five games during the season, averaging just more than six minutes per game in that span. Coughlin, a Benilde St. Margaret's graduate, joins fellow freshman Rangie Bessard and junior Jackie…
Tue, 1/27, 4:20pm (3 days ago)
Gophers running back Berkley Edwards is expected to be a sprinter on the men's track and field team this spring, the University confirmed. The redshirt freshman rushed for 140 yards and two touchdowns last season in addition to three receptions for 24 yards.  Coming into the season, Edwards was seen as…
Sun, 1/25, 11:15am (5 days ago)
In the state of hockey, Minnesota's marquee program doesn't seem to quite measure up right now. With the Gophers getting swept in the North Star College Cup, they finished last out of the four particiapting schools in the state. "We always want to beat state teams," senior forward Travis Boyd said. "We’re…
Sat, 1/24, 7:55pm (6 days ago)
Illinois’ Malcolm Hill drove baseline early in the second half and cocked the ball back behind his head, preparing to dunk over Bakary Konate. No dice.   The ball was blocked out of bounds instead of being flushed through the rim. But it wasn’t Minnesota’s 6-foot-11-inch center that swatted the would-be dunk into…
Wed, 1/21, 4:47pm (1 week ago)
The Gophers entered the season ranked as the number one team in the country. This weekend, they'll just try to prove they're the number one team in the state. The team will square off against their in-state competition this weekend at the North Star Cup, and their path in the tournament starts…
Tue, 1/20, 6:11pm (1 week ago)
The Gophers take on Nebraska on Tuesday night at 7:30 p.m. Here are five things to watch for in the game: 1. Will Minnesota go on a run? Richard Pitino's players took their 0-5 conference start rough and last week's 89-80 victory against Rutgers could be a sign things are turning around.…
Tue, 1/20, 11:11am (1 week ago)
Travis Boyd's weekend was a tale of two games. After the first, a 2-2 tie with Wisconsin, Boyd wore his ballcap and kept his head low as he explained what went wrong after the Gophers held a 2-0 third period lead. Saturday, Boyd was seen beaming by the Gophers bench after…
Tue, 1/20, 10:28am (1 week ago)
Former Gophers quarterback Philip Nelson will plead guilty to fifth degree assault for his role in a fight in Mankato last May, according to the Star Tribune. According to a statement from his lawyer, Nelson filed a petition to enter the guilty plea for a misdemeanor, and the felony charges against…
Mon, 1/19, 4:12pm (2 weeks ago)
So much for fights without consequences. In the wake of the on-ice brawl that took place between Wisconsin and Minnesota at Mariucci Arena Saturday, the Big Ten announced suspensions for two players involved in the altercation. Wisconsin defenseman Eddie Wittchow, whose big hit on freshman forward Leon Bristedt instigated the final scuffle,…
Sat, 1/17, 3:25pm (2 weeks ago)
Taking a glance through the box score from Minnesota's 89-80 win against Rutgers on Saturday, Andre Hollins' 31 points stand out like a big beacon of hope for the Gophers who are still shooting for a spot in the NCAA Tournament after a 1-5 start to conference play. But Bakary…
Sat, 1/17, 3:05pm (2 weeks ago)
The last few weeks have been rough for Andre Hollins. He shot 28 percent or lower in Minnesota’s first five conference games, all of which were losses. Iowa’s Jarrod Uthoff hit a game-winning shot in his face. The local media hinted at him being part of the team’s problem. But on Saturday,…
Thu, 1/15, 6:00pm (2 weeks ago)
With spring practices beginning in just over a couple months, the Gophers found out Wednesday that quarterback Dimonic Roden-McKinzy, wide receiver Conner Krizancic and defensive tackle Demaris Peppers will not be apart of year five under head coach Jerry Kill. All three players were three-star recruits out of high school, but…
Wed, 1/14, 4:33pm (2 weeks ago)
Despite coming off a road sweep, tensions weren't high when the Gophers met with the media on Wednesday. When head coach Don Lucia arrived, he joked about none of the local sports teams seemed to be able to buy a win in the last few weeks (though the Timberwolves were at…