Upon Further Review has everything you ever wanted to know about Gophers athletics (and then some). The Daily’s Sports team brings in-depth analysis, live blogs of Minnesota game days as well as any extra tidbits of information to help fans get their Gophers sports fix.
Fri, 2/12, 10:29am (23 hours ago)
By Kaitlin Merkel Gophers head coach Marlene Stollings was in a staff meeting on Tuesday when she received anxious knock on the door. It was senior guard Rachel Banham, who received recognition from a special source after tying the NCAA record for points in a game with 60 Sunday against Northwestern. “She’s like,…
Mon, 2/8, 6:35pm (5 days ago)
By Kaitlin Merkel Minnesota head coach Marlene Stollings said Sunday she wished she could have enjoyed redshirt senior guard Rachel Banham’s historic performance on Sunday. Banham scored 60 points in the Gophers 112-106 comeback win against Northwestern in double overtime, breaking both a program and Big Ten record for points in a…
Thu, 2/4, 1:12pm (1 week ago)
Zhou wins diver of the week By Tommy Jaakola Junior diver Yu Zhou won her eighth Big Ten diver of the week award on Wednesday, after a strong showing at the Big Ten Triple Dual in Evanston, Ill. She won both the three-meter and one-meter dive at the meet, scoring 370.40 and 296.45…
Fri, 1/29, 3:03pm (2 weeks ago)
An anonymous donation sparked a renovation of the Minnesota baseball locker room, one of several upgrades heading the team's way at the start of 2016. The gift was established as an estate gift back in 2003, and the fresh look was announced by the team on Jan. 27. The Gophers installed…
Tue, 1/12, 2:15pm (1 month ago)
Amanda Kessel is back on the ice. The former Patty Kazmaier award winner did not skate for the Gophers last season due to lingering concerns about a previous concussion and she has not played for the team this season. She stayed on the University of Minnesota campus last semester though and…
Fri, 1/8, 10:54pm (1 month ago)
The Gophers have filled their open coordinator spot on the offensive side of the ball, now they just need to do it on defense. But don't expect any suprises when the announcement is made, head coach Tracy Claeys said Friday. Defensive backs coach Jay Sawvel, who ran the team's defense in…
Mon, 12/28, 7:43pm (2 months ago)
By Mike Hendrickson Final score:  Minnesota 21, Central Michigan 14 Recap: Central Michigan kept it close, but Minnesota earned its first bowl win since 2004. Redshirt junior quarterback Mitch Leidner gave his team the lead for good in the fourth quarter of the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit Monday, rushing for a touchdown to end…
Mon, 12/28, 1:52pm (2 months ago)
By Mike Hendrickson Minnesota (5-7) will try to end a seven game losing streak in bowls when the team faces Central Michigan (7-5) at Ford Field in the Quick Lane Bowl on Monday. A full breakdown and score prediction can be seen below: When Minnesota runs the ball: The Gophers rushing attack has…
Wed, 12/16, 7:43pm (2 months ago)
The Gophers have started to sign their 2015 recruiting class. The team signed seven recruits on Wednesday who will enroll at the University in January and participate in spring practice. The new signees include junior college players Merrick Jackson, Vincent Calhoun, Garrison Wright and Elijah Battle and high school players Seth…
Mon, 12/7, 6:33pm (2 months ago)
By Mike Hendrickson Head coach Tracy Claeys has named an offensive and defensive coordinator for the Quick Lane Bowl against Central Michigan on Dec. 28. Tight ends coach Rob Reeves will serve as the Gophers offensive coordinator for the game, while defensive backs coach Jay Sawvel will serve as the defensive coordinator,…
Sun, 12/6, 3:17pm (2 months ago)
By Mike Hendrickson Minnesota is going bowling this year, as the Gophers been selected to face Central Michigan in the Quick Lane Bowl on Dec. 28 in Detroit at Ford Field, the team announced Sunday. The Gophers made a bowl game despite a 5-7 due to their Academic Progress Rate ranking. “With how…
Mon, 11/30, 5:02pm (2 months ago)
The Gophers finished their regular season with a losing record, but they still might be able to go bowling. Only 75 teams have a record of 6-6 or better with 80 bowl game slots to fill, meaning between two and five 5-7 teams will play in a bowl game. Three teams…
Mon, 11/30, 11:46am (2 months ago)
By Mike Hendrickson Tracy Claeys is already making Minnesota’s staff his own. Minnesota’s head coach said Monday morning it was a difficult decision to not renew the contracts of former offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Matt Limegrover and former quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator Jim Zebrowski, but he wanted to…
Sun, 11/29, 6:27pm (2 months ago)
By Mike Hendrickson Minnesota offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Matt Limegrover and quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator Jim Zebrowski will not have their contracts renewed, head coach Tracy Claeys announced Sunday. Limegrover and Zebrowski had been in their roles with the Gophers since former head coach Jerry Kill took over…
Fri, 11/27, 11:22am (3 months ago)
By Mike Hendrickson With bowl eligibility and a coveted trophy on the line, the Gophers (5-6, 2-5) season comes down to one game against Wisconsin (8-3, 5-2). A full breakdown and score prediction can be seen below: When Minnesota runs the ball: The Badgers are sixth in the Football Bowl Subdivision in rushing…