Upon Further Review has everything you ever wanted to know about Gophers athletics (and then some). The Daily’s Sports team brings in-depth analysis, live blogs of Minnesota game days as well as any extra tidbits of information to help fans get their Gophers sports fix.
Sun, 3/29, 12:22pm (11 hours ago)
Kyle Rau is on his way to reuniting with former roommate Nick Bjugstad. The Gophers former senior captain signed an entry level deal with the Florida Panthers on Sunday, the team announced. Rau, a forward who was drafted by the Panthers in the 3rd round - 91st overall - in the…
Sat, 3/28, 3:14pm (1 day ago)
On Friday, Seth Ambroz's amateur hockey career ended. On Saturday, his professional one began. Ambroz signed an amateur tryout contract with the Springfield Falcons of the American Hockey League, the team announced Saturday. The news comes one day after Ambroz's senior season with the Gophers ended in a 4-1 loss to…
Fri, 3/27, 11:43pm (2 days ago)
The Gophers season didn’t end with a whimper or a bang. It ended in silence. There was no loud rejoicing by Minnesota-Duluth or its assembled fans.  No outward despair for the Minnesota contingent. The game had already been long decided. Minnesota-Duluth never trailed in a 4-1 victory in the NCAA regional, ending…
Sun, 3/15, 1:08pm (2 weeks ago)
After a rough first event, Minnesota rallied back to earn a spot in the second session of the Big Ten Championship finishing third out of five teams Saturday. The Gophers started the competition shaky after some uncharacterstic falls on the balance beam and found themselves in a hole early. Junior Hanna…
Sat, 3/14, 8:12pm (2 weeks ago)
After the first five minutes of Minnesota’s NCAA tournament quarterfinal tilt against Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) on Saturday, it looked like the Gophers would coast into the Frozen Four after tallying two quick goals. But while Minnesota maintained its lead the rest of the game and ended up winning 6-2,…
Sat, 3/14, 8:12pm (2 weeks ago)
Fri, 3/13, 10:39pm (2 weeks ago)
And then there was one. After Friday night’s 5-0 victory over the Penn State Nittany Lions, the Gophers only have one game remaining in the regular season. The Gophers penultimate contest at home in Mariucci Arena was a relatively uneventful affair. Minnesota jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first period…
Thu, 3/12, 4:43pm (2 weeks ago)
CHICAGO — There's a reason why D'Angelo Russell is widely considered a top-5 pick if he chooses to enter the NBA Draft this summer. Just ask the Gophers.  Before winter prematurely ended and Minnesota lost 12 of 18 regular-season conference games, the Ohio State freshman came into Williams Arena in January…
Thu, 3/12, 3:19pm (2 weeks ago)
CHICAGO — Earlier this week Richard Pitino and Rick Pitino sent each other texts back and forth, talking about Minnesota's Big Ten tournament game with Rutgers slated for Wednesday night. Then Richard dropped the line that makes every father in little league — and now Division I — well up…
Wed, 3/11, 7:14pm (3 weeks ago)
Chicago — Richard Pitino's Gophers lead Rutgers 30-27 at the end of the first half of the first round of the Big Ten tournament. Here are five takeaways from the first half of action at the United Center: 1. Rick Pitino is here, which is always noteworthy.  2. Joey King came to…
Wed, 3/11, 6:09pm (3 weeks ago)
Chicago — The Gophers face off with Rutgers at roughly 6:15 from the United Center in the first round of the Big Ten tournament. Here's everything you need to know. The last time Minnesota played Rutgers, it snapped a five-game losing streak. Will the Gophers right the ship against the Scarlet…
Wed, 3/11, 4:31pm (3 weeks ago)
As the regular season finale comes up on the horizon, the Gophers are still trying to chase consistency. Three straight weeks have brought three straight opening wins for the Gophers, but they've also lost the season finale the past three weeks as well. "I think we’ve proven if we play how we’re…
Thu, 3/5, 1:18pm (3 weeks ago)
One day after the athletics department announced Adam Weber as his replacement, former Gophers graduate assistant Ryan Maiuri paced the sidelines of Minnesota's practice facility Tuesday with a pencil and paper taking notes. Maiuri, who held the graduate assistant position for two seasons working with the Gophers offense and quarterbacks in…
Wed, 3/4, 4:36pm (4 weeks ago)
Three points out of the standings for first place, the Gophers schedule seems to offer a bit of a reprieve with a match-up against the fifth place Ohio State Buckeyes. The Gophers may be catching the Buckeyes at a bad time though. At least for them. "They’re healthy now," senior forward Sam…
Mon, 3/2, 3:47pm (4 weeks ago)
Junior Lindsay Mable snagged her sixth weekly Gymnast of the Week award given out by the Big Ten Monday. This award marks her 14th weekly Big Ten award of her career. After last Saturday's meet against Iowa and New Hampshire, Mable collected her tenth consecutive all-around title and also three event…