Upon Further Review has everything you ever wanted to know about Gophers athletics (and then some). The Daily’s Sports team brings in-depth analysis, live blogs of Minnesota game days as well as any extra tidbits of information to help fans get their Gophers sports fix.
Mon, 7/28, 12:10pm (7 hours ago)
Big Ten Media Days is underway. Follow along for news and notes from Chicago. Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald was first to the podium. Fitzgerald touched upon his team's academic success and also said his team lost its focus at one point during the season. The Wildcats finished 5-7 and lost to Minnesota 20-17.  "I'm…
Sun, 7/27, 2:29pm (1 day ago)
Big Ten Football Media Days kick off tomorrow morning in Chicago. All 10  14 teams from the conference will be represented by three players and their respective head coach. Throughout the two-day event, each team's representatives will be asked non-stop about the upcoming season. Going off that theme, here are 10 big…
Wed, 7/23, 3:58pm (5 days ago)
Former Gophers running back Laurence Maroney will attend the Big Ten Kickoff Luncheon on July 29, the Big Ten announced Wednesday. The event occurs shortly after Big Ten media days in Chicago. Every Big Ten school will be represented by one former player.  Maroney rushed for 2,812 yards and 22 touchdowns…
Wed, 7/23, 10:20am (5 days ago)
Last summer, rising redshirt senior Mo Walker lost nearly 60 pounds after new head coach Richard Pitino took him through workouts. The Gophers haven’t seen any bodily transformations that drastic leading into Pitino’s second season at Minnesota, but this summer still has seen an emphasis on conditioning.   Pitino said junior…
Fri, 7/18, 8:32pm (1 week ago)
Minnesota, having spent most of its offseason welcoming players back to the program, has granted the request of one to depart. Gabe Guertler, freshman forward out of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., has decided to leave the Golden Gophers men's hockey program after one season. By all accounts, Guertler's decision to leave the…
Thu, 7/17, 11:26am (2 weeks ago)
This time last year, David Cobb was a third-stringer. 365 days and 1,202 rushing yards later, Cobb is not only the likely starting running back for the Gophers this upcoming season but also on the Doak Walker Award watch list. The Doak Walker Award is annually given to the nation's…
Sat, 7/12, 2:27pm (2 weeks ago)
The first of three July evaluation periods is underway and the Gophers already have a commitment from four-star point guard Kevin Dorsey. Evan Daniels of Scout Hoops first reported the news, which Dorsey confirmed via Twitter: "I Am Blessed To Announce That I Have Committed To The University of Minnesotta #GoldenGophers…
Thu, 7/10, 5:58pm (3 weeks ago)
Senior runningback David Cobb, sophomore quarterback Mitch Leidner and senior safety Cedric Thompson were chosen by Gophers coaches to represent the team at Big Ten Media Days in Chicago, July 27-28: www.bigten.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071014aaa.html Cobb is coming off of one of the most prolific rushing seasons in recent Gophers history. He headlined Minnesota's rushing offense last season,…
Mon, 6/23, 6:13pm (1 month ago)
Two and a half years after tearing the ACL in his right knee, Trevor Mbakwe finally feels like himself again. The former Gophers power forward/center is joining the Los Angeles Lakers’ summer league team after a season of professional basketball in Italy. “I felt pretty good,” Mbakwe said. “Right now I feel…
Mon, 6/23, 6:13pm (1 month ago)
Thu, 6/5, 12:29am (2 months ago)
The Gophers hockey team has added two players to its roster, head coach Don Lucia announced Wednesday in a release. Nick Lehr and Robin Höglund have signed Acceptance of Admission agreements and are set to join the program. Lehr, a goaltender, spent three years with the Austin Bruins, a North American Hockey…
Sun, 5/25, 7:17pm (2 months ago)
Earlier this month, top football recruit Jashon Cornell told the Detroit News he's leaning towards taking his five-star talents to Michigan State.  Speaking with Cretin-Derham Hall's star defensive end Saturday, his tone has hardly changed.  "The defensive factor is huge. [Michigan State] has had the best defense of the past three years," Cornell…
Tue, 5/13, 10:45am (3 months ago)
Former Gophers quarterback Philip Nelson has been dismissed from Rutgers, head coach Kyle Flood announced in a release. Nelson was arrested early Sunday morning in Mankato, Minn., after an incident that left Isaac Kolstad, a former linebacker at Minnesota State-Mankato, in critical condition. He was charged with first and third-degree assault…
Sun, 5/11, 2:36pm (3 months ago)
Former Gophers quarterback Philip Nelson was arrested for alleged assault early Sunday morning in Mankato, Minn., KSTP reported.  Nelson, who transferred to Rutgers in January after playing two seasons at Minnesota, was booked into Blue Earth County Jail at 2:44 a.m. according to the report.  A representative from the Rutgers athletic communications…
Sat, 5/10, 11:11pm (3 months ago)
The Gophers softball team won the Big Ten tournament Saturday with a 3-2 victory over Michigan. Freshman Sam Macken hit a walk-off single to give Minnesota the win. Michigan jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the fourth inning, but the Gophers quickly erased it with solo home runs from Kaitlyn…