Upon Further Review has everything you ever wanted to know about Gophers athletics (and then some). The Daily’s Sports team brings in-depth analysis, live blogs of Minnesota game days as well as any extra tidbits of information to help fans get their Gophers sports fix.
Wed, 4/23, 2:02pm (10 hours ago)
With Elliott Eliason and Mo Walker set for their senior seasons in the fall, the Gophers needed to add some depth to their front line with this year's recruiting class. Mission accomplished. Bakary Konate, a 6-feet-11-inch center from Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas, has committed to the Gophers, multiple outlets have reported.…
Mon, 4/21, 5:30pm (2 days ago)
Junior shortstop Michael Handel was named the Big Ten Player of the Week on Monday. Handel went 2-for-5, scoring a run and driving in another in Minnesota's 5-3 win over North Dakota State on Wednesday. This weekend, he hit 4-for-8 with two runs scored and five runs batted in. He hit…
Wed, 4/16, 6:02pm (1 week ago)
Reggie Meyer, the younger brother of Gophers starting pitcher Ben Meyer, signed a National Letter of Intent to play baseball for Minnesota next year Wednesday. Meyer is right-handed pitcher, who currently plays baseball at Totino-Grace High School.  "He is a well-rounded young man from a solid family and a pitcher with…
Wed, 4/16, 3:37pm (1 week ago)
The NCAA’s Legislative Council decided Tuesday that Division I student-athletes can receive unlimited meals and snacks in conjunction with their athletics participation, according to an NCAA release. The meals are in addition to those student-athletes on full scholarship already are provided. The meals provision was one of several the council adopted, the…
Mon, 4/14, 3:25pm (1 week ago)
Minnesota sophomore Wally Ellenson made news in late Februrary when he announced his decision to leave the Gophers basketbball program to pursue a full-time collegiate career in track.  Now, it appears Ellenson intends to transfer schools to try his luck on the hardwood again. He played in nine games last season with…
Mon, 4/14, 11:27am (1 week ago)
The Gophers baseball team has updated its schedule for this week's midweek play. The Gophers were scheduled to take on Hamline on Tuesday and North Dakota State on Wednesday at Siebert Field. However, Tuesday's game was postponed because Hamline had a Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference scheduling conflict.  Today, Minnesota readjusted its…
Mon, 4/14, 11:25am (1 week ago)
The Minnesota Vikings will begin renovating TCF Bank Stadium this week and will have the stadium's turf removed by Friday, according to a tweet from the University's TCF Bank Stadium Twitter account. The Vikings will install new turf and a new field heating system as well as more storage space, concession upgrades…
Fri, 4/11, 5:50pm (2 weeks ago)
Nebraska’s Jake Placzek scored the game-winning run on a wild pitch, as the Cornhuskers defeated Minnesota 8-6 Friday afternoon at Siebert Field. The Gophers were in position to send the game into the bottom of the ninth inning tied at six. But as Dalton Sawyer tried to intentionally walk Nebraska’s cleanup…
Wed, 4/9, 3:37pm (2 weeks ago)
Two members of Minnesota's 14th-ranked softball team were named as finalists for the 2014 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year award Wednesday afternoon. The players are senior pitcher Sara Moulton and junior infielder Kaitlyn Richardson, who have led the Gophers to one of the best seasons in program history. Moulton…
Tue, 4/8, 12:40pm (2 weeks ago)
By now, it's become an age-old question of sorts: Is it better to win the NIT championship or get bounced in your first game of the NCAA Tournament? My answer in the past was simple, make the NCAAs. Receiving an NCAA Tournament bid is a symbol of a solid season, a…
Fri, 4/4, 2:24pm (3 weeks ago)
DeAndre Mathieu didn't care what tournament the Gophers were playing in on Thursday night; they were champions. "I'm just so excited right now," he said.  Minnesota's NIT title run has excited the team and the fan base, not just about the current state of the team, but about what's to come. The Gophers…
Thu, 4/3, 6:59pm (3 weeks ago)
This season is wrapping up the way it was supposed to play out the entire time. With the Hollinses leading the Gophers. Austin Hollins has 10 points, while Andre Hollins has nine, as the Gophers lead SMU 30-27 at the half of the NIT title game at Madison Square Garden. The Gophers have…
Thu, 4/3, 4:23pm (3 weeks ago)
New York -- This is it, the end of the line. The Gophers season will come to an end tonight, the only question remaining is, how? Will it be with first year head coach Richard Pitino and his players jubilantly hoisting the NIT championship trophy? Or will they dejectedly walk off the…
Thu, 4/3, 3:14pm (3 weeks ago)
New York -- Andre Hollins' Feb. 5 return to the Gophers starting lineup from his left ankle sprain after missing just two games was remarkable. But nearly two months after his initial return to the court, his return to full form is still a work in progress. That progression took a major…
Wed, 4/2, 5:18pm (3 weeks ago)
New York -- Southern Methodist coach Larry Brown and Gophers head coach Richard Pitino don't really know one another. That'll change, at least to some point, on Thursday night when Minnesota meets the Mustangs in the NIT final at Madison Square Garden. But just because Pitino doesn't know Brown, doesn't mean he…