Upon Further Review has everything you ever wanted to know about Gophers athletics (and then some). The Daily’s Sports team brings in-depth analysis, live blogs of Minnesota game days as well as any extra tidbits of information to help fans get their Gophers sports fix.
Sun, 8/23, 6:19pm (6 days ago)
110 minutes wasn’t enough to decide a victor in the Gophers second game of the season. The team battled the No. 23 Kansas Jayhawks to a scoreless tie Sunday afternoon at Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium, after opening their season Friday with a 3-0 victory over North Dakota State. “I think this was…
Sat, 8/15, 1:58pm (2 weeks ago)
Entering fall camp, Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill was looking for more explosive plays from his football team. Both sides of the ball delivered at a two-hour team scrimmage Saturday in Seafoam Stadium at Concordia University in St. Paul, with several big plays on offense from the team’s young skill position…
Fri, 8/14, 1:15pm (2 weeks ago)
The University of Minnesota announced Friday head football coach Jerry Kill signed a one-year contract extension to keep him under contract with the Gophers until 2019. The extension provides Kill with a annual $300,000 raise in supplemental compensation throughout the length of his contract. Kill will now make $2.5 million in…
Fri, 8/7, 9:51am (3 weeks ago)
The University of Minnesota has a vacancy at athletic director. The University announced Friday morning President Eric Kaler has accepted the resignation of Norwood Teague effective immediately. Teague succeded Joel Maturi as Minnesota's athletic director on April 23, 2012. In over three years at the University, Teague hired a number of current…
Thu, 8/6, 12:55pm (3 weeks ago)
The many new faces on the Minnesota men’s basketball team will visit a new place next week, when the team takes a 10 day trip to Spain.   The Gophers leave Monday for the foreign tour, and will play two games in Madrid and two in Barcelona against club teams before returning…
Wed, 8/5, 7:45pm (3 weeks ago)
Seven Gophers to play in Northwoods League Major League Dreams Showcase   On August 4, a record of seven Minnesota players will participate in the annual Northwoods League Major League Dreams Showcase in Madison, Wis.   Players are selected by a panel of major league scouts that oversee pregame workouts and a double…
Wed, 8/5, 7:30pm (3 weeks ago)
It took Mitch Leidner just three seasons to go from a quarterback with two college offers to one working with Peyton and Eli Manning.   The Gophers starter was a camp counselor, along with other college quarterbacks, at the annual Manning Passing Academy in June, helping the two Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks and…
Tue, 8/4, 7:45pm (4 weeks ago)
This season, Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill is looking for offensive lineman with “some lead in their tail end.” Speaking at a press conference Tuesday, Kill said the Gophers center and guard spots gave up too much push up the middle last season in pass protection, and now he wants players…
Mon, 7/27, 6:03pm (1 month ago)
Shae Kelley returns to Lynx Former Gophers forward Shae Kelley will return to the Minnesota Lynx after being cut from the team in June.   The Lynx expect Kelley to return to practice on Wednesday in order to complete their roster.   Kelley played five minutes in a preseason game with the…
Tue, 7/21, 6:57pm (1 month ago)
The Minnesota women’s hockey program won the NCAA championship in 2015, despite former Olympian Amanda Kessel sitting out the season due to lingering concussion symptoms. The program will continue to move forward in Kessel’s absence, as Minnesota head coach Brad Frost confirmed to the Minnesota Daily on Tuesday the forward will…
Mon, 7/20, 3:13pm (1 month ago)
Janzen helps lead Team USA to victory Former Gophers swimmer Kiera Janzen participated in the Pan American Games in Toronto July 14-18. The six-time All-American swam in three events at the games: the 200m Freestyle, the 400m Freestyle and the 4x200m relay. Janzen took 6th and 5th in the Freestyle meets,…
Mon, 7/13, 8:59pm (2 months ago)
Gophers legend Griak passes away   Beloved Minnesota cross country and track & field coach Roy Griak passed away on July 9.   Griak was a devotee to the university for more than 50 years as an athlete, coach and administrator.   "Today, we have lost a true legend in Roy Griak," Minnesota Director of…
Mon, 7/6, 6:54pm (2 months ago)
Mike Reilly signs with Wild, will participate in development camp Gophers alum Mike Reilly signed a two-year contract with the Minnesota Wild on July 1.  Reilly came to an agreement with the Wild after becoming a free agent in June when he opted not to sign with the Columbus Blue Jackets. Reilly, a…
Mon, 6/29, 5:44pm (2 months ago)
Northwoods League action continues through holiday weekend With the Fourth of July this weekend, most athletes receive the week off of competition. But not the Northwoods League, including many Gophers’ baseball players. If you are heading out of town to the Rochester of Duluth areas of Minnesota, there will be games all…
Tue, 6/16, 6:18pm (2 months ago)
Incoming freshman guard Jarvis Johnson will not be medically cleared to play basketball at the University of Minnesota. Johnson will still accept his scholarship and remain a part of the basketball program, according to a university athletic department release. “Unfortunately, Jarvis Johnson will not be playing on our team this season,” head…