Upon Further Review has everything you ever wanted to know about Gophers athletics (and then some). The Daily’s Sports team brings in-depth analysis, live blogs of Minnesota game days as well as any extra tidbits of information to help fans get their Gophers sports fix.
Fri, 8/8, 7:27pm (3 weeks ago)
Jeff Jones has been granted admission to the University of Minnesota as a student, per his Facebook account.  While gaining admission to the University is a significant hurdle for Jones, it does not necessarily mean he is eligible to play football for the Gophers. Jones, who has struggled to qualify academically,…
Thu, 8/7, 4:16pm (3 weeks ago)
The National Collegiate Athletics Association Division I Board of Directors passed a vote Thursday morning that will grant the "Power 5" conferences —including the Big Ten — and their 65 members an unprecedented level of autonomy. The 16-2 vote is subject to a 60-day veto period before it takes effect. “We are…
Wed, 7/30, 4:51pm (4 weeks ago)
Gophers head basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Wednesday that Nate Pomeday will take over as director of basketball operations. "We are extremely excited about the addition of Nate Pomeday to our staff," Pitino said in a release. "He has a wealth of knowledge and experience that will help us continue to…
Mon, 7/28, 12:10pm (1 month ago)
Big Ten Media Days is underway. Follow along for news and notes from Chicago. Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald was first to the podium. Fitzgerald touched upon his team's academic success and also said his team lost its focus at one point during the season. The Wildcats finished 5-7 and lost to Minnesota 20-17.  "I'm…
Sun, 7/27, 2:29pm (1 month ago)
Big Ten Football Media Days kick off tomorrow morning in Chicago. All 10  14 teams from the conference will be represented by three players and their respective head coach. Throughout the two-day event, each team's representatives will be asked non-stop about the upcoming season. Going off that theme, here are 10 big…
Wed, 7/23, 3:58pm (1 month ago)
Former Gophers running back Laurence Maroney will attend the Big Ten Kickoff Luncheon on July 29, the Big Ten announced Wednesday. The event occurs shortly after Big Ten media days in Chicago. Every Big Ten school will be represented by one former player.  Maroney rushed for 2,812 yards and 22 touchdowns…
Wed, 7/23, 10:20am (1 month ago)
Last summer, rising redshirt senior Mo Walker lost nearly 60 pounds after new head coach Richard Pitino took him through workouts. The Gophers haven’t seen any bodily transformations that drastic leading into Pitino’s second season at Minnesota, but this summer still has seen an emphasis on conditioning.   Pitino said junior…
Fri, 7/18, 8:32pm (1 month ago)
Minnesota, having spent most of its offseason welcoming players back to the program, has granted the request of one to depart. Gabe Guertler, freshman forward out of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., has decided to leave the Golden Gophers men's hockey program after one season. By all accounts, Guertler's decision to leave the…
Thu, 7/17, 11:26am (1 month ago)
This time last year, David Cobb was a third-stringer. 365 days and 1,202 rushing yards later, Cobb is not only the likely starting running back for the Gophers this upcoming season but also on the Doak Walker Award watch list. The Doak Walker Award is annually given to the nation's…
Sat, 7/12, 2:27pm (2 months ago)
The first of three July evaluation periods is underway and the Gophers already have a commitment from four-star point guard Kevin Dorsey. Evan Daniels of Scout Hoops first reported the news, which Dorsey confirmed via Twitter: "I Am Blessed To Announce That I Have Committed To The University of Minnesotta #GoldenGophers…
Thu, 7/10, 5:58pm (2 months ago)
Senior runningback David Cobb, sophomore quarterback Mitch Leidner and senior safety Cedric Thompson were chosen by Gophers coaches to represent the team at Big Ten Media Days in Chicago, July 27-28: www.bigten.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071014aaa.html Cobb is coming off of one of the most prolific rushing seasons in recent Gophers history. He headlined Minnesota's rushing offense last season,…
Mon, 6/23, 6:13pm (2 months ago)
Two and a half years after tearing the ACL in his right knee, Trevor Mbakwe finally feels like himself again. The former Gophers power forward/center is joining the Los Angeles Lakers’ summer league team after a season of professional basketball in Italy. “I felt pretty good,” Mbakwe said. “Right now I feel…
Mon, 6/23, 6:13pm (2 months ago)
Thu, 6/5, 12:29am (3 months ago)
The Gophers hockey team has added two players to its roster, head coach Don Lucia announced Wednesday in a release. Nick Lehr and Robin Höglund have signed Acceptance of Admission agreements and are set to join the program. Lehr, a goaltender, spent three years with the Austin Bruins, a North American Hockey…
Sun, 5/25, 7:17pm (3 months ago)
Earlier this month, top football recruit Jashon Cornell told the Detroit News he's leaning towards taking his five-star talents to Michigan State.  Speaking with Cretin-Derham Hall's star defensive end Saturday, his tone has hardly changed.  "The defensive factor is huge. [Michigan State] has had the best defense of the past three years," Cornell…