Upon Further Review has everything you ever wanted to know about Gophers athletics (and then some). The Daily’s Sports team brings in-depth analysis, live blogs of Minnesota game days as well as any extra tidbits of information to help fans get their Gophers sports fix.
Mon, 9/29, 1:48pm (1 day ago)
The Gophers men's hockey team came in at first place on two preseason polls Monday, ranking at the top of both the USCHO.com poll and the USA Hockey/USA Hockey Magazine poll. The Gophers ended up with a large majority of the first place votes in both polls, earning 36 out of 50 in the…
Mon, 9/29, 1:26pm (1 day ago)
Sophomore defender Ashley Pafko earned Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week honors on Monday, fresh off a performance that helped her team secure its first road sweep of the season. With her team down 1-0 Sunday at Indiana, Pafko scored the equalizer and helped give her team a boost. From…
Sun, 9/28, 4:33pm (2 days ago)
  Before the season started, Mitch Leidner said he’d never suffered a serious injury in his life. That quickly changed after Leidner sprained his left knee in Minnesota’s second game of the year against Middle Tennessee State. He didn’t look like himself the next week at TCU and came up even more…
Sat, 9/27, 5:56pm (3 days ago)
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — The Gophers stunned Michigan 30-14 on Saturday for just their second win over the Wolverines since 1986. Minnesota rode senior running back David Cobb for 183 yards on 32 carries.  Redshirt sophomore quarterback Mitch Leidner completed 14 of 22 passes for 167 yards after missing last week's…
Sat, 9/27, 4:04pm (3 days ago)
  Minnesota quarterback Mitch Leidner returned to the starting role and has led the Gophers to a 10-7 lead at halftime. After missing last week’s game against San Jose State with turf toe, Leidner was announced the starter just hours before kick off. The redshirt sophomore has put together a solid…
Wed, 9/24, 7:14pm (6 days ago)
The Minnesota women’s hockey team will start the 2014-15 campaign ranked number one in both the USCHO and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine preseason polls. The Gophers are coming off a season in which they lost in the national championship game to Clarkson and saw their NCAA-record 62 consecutive game win streak…
Wed, 9/24, 12:17pm (6 days ago)
The Minnesota men's hockey team was picked as the preseason favorite to win the Big Ten in the 2014-15 season, the conference announced Wednesday. Five Gophers were also selected to the annual Big Ten Preseason Players to Watch list, the most selections by any Big Ten school. Minnesota was picked first…
Tue, 9/23, 7:19pm (7 days ago)
Sophomores Sarah Wilhite and Paige Tapp earned their first Big Ten weekly honors on Monday.  Wilhite, an outside hitter, was named the Big Ten's Player of the Week. Middle blocker Tapp received Defensive Player of the Week. The two earned their accolades from their performances at the Rocket Invitational in Toledo…
Mon, 9/22, 3:40pm (1 week ago)
Redshirt freshman Chris Streveler made his first collegiate start Saturday, leading the Gophers to a 24-7 victory over San Jose State. Monday, the Big Ten named Streveler Big Ten Co-Freshman of the Week for his performance. The Crystal Lake, Ill. native filled in for redshirt sophomore Mitch Leidner who sat out…
Sat, 9/20, 7:02pm (1 week ago)
  Minnesota bounced back from last week’s defeat at TCU to beat San Jose State 24-7 and improve their record to 3-1.  The Gophers did not complete a pass until 6:36 remaining in the game but did find success running the ball as they racked up 380 yards. Running back David Cobb…
Sat, 9/20, 4:29pm (1 week ago)
When the Gophers played San Jose State last year, they ran the ball 67 times. Halfway through Saturday's game, Minnesota leads 17-7 and has yet to complete a pass.  Minnesota ran the ball 31 times for 222 yards — all of which came courtesy of senior running back David Cobb and…
Sat, 9/20, 10:07am (1 week ago)
  Minnesota had a dismal game at TCU last week, turning the ball over five times en route to a 30-7 loss. With that game behind them, the Gophers are set to face San Jose State at home Saturday for the second straight season. Minnesota ran over the Spartans 43-24 last year as Mitch…
Fri, 9/12, 5:52pm (3 weeks ago)
Highly touted basketball recruit Jarvis Johnson committed to the Gophers on Friday afternoon to give Minnesota its fourth player in the 2015 class. Johnson, who wielded offers from UCLA, Michigan State, Wisconsin and more, couldn't pass up the opportunity to play for budding head coach Richard Pitino in his backyard.  "My…
Mon, 9/8, 2:58pm (3 weeks ago)
Minnesota senior running back David Cobb was named the Big Ten Co-Offensive Player of the Week today by the Big Ten. Cobb ran for a career-high 220 yards and scored two touchdowns on 29 carries to lead the Gophers to a 35-24 victory over Middle Tennessee State on Saturday Sept. 6.…
Sat, 9/6, 6:01pm (3 weeks ago)
The Gophers improved to 2-0 on the season thanks to a career day by senior running back David Cobb. Cobb ran the ball 29 times for a career high 220 yards and one touchdown in the 35-24 victory. Minnesota racked up 284 total yards on the ground but did not find…