Upon Further Review has everything you ever wanted to know about Gophers athletics (and then some). The Daily’s Sports team brings in-depth analysis, live blogs of Minnesota game days as well as any extra tidbits of information to help fans get their Gophers sports fix.
Tue, 5/26, 6:16pm (7 hours ago)
With two seniors penciled in as starters on the Gophers frontcourt, men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino added more depth for the future. Pitino announced the addition of forward Davonte Fitzgerald on Tuesday, who will transfer from Texas A&M. The 6’7, 209-pound Fitzgerald played two seasons for the Aggies, but will sit out…
Sat, 5/2, 5:35pm (3 weeks ago)
Damien Wilson was sitting with his family in Mississippi on Saturday afternoon eating chips and watching television when his phone started buzzing.  The former Gophers linebacker didn’t recognize the number calling, but when he answered a familiar sports figure was on the line: Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. “I just had to…
Thu, 4/16, 9:07pm (1 month ago)
While many Minnesotans had their eyes glued to their television sets to watch the Wild start their playoff series with the St. Louis Blues, former Minnesota Gophers center Amanda Zahui B. was drafted second overall to the Tulsa Shock in the WNBA draft. Zahui B. absolutely shot up draft boards…
Thu, 4/16, 11:17am (1 month ago)
UPDATED 12:20 with information that Warning attended a Washington Capitals development camp in the summer of 2014. Sam Warning is on his way to a reunion with one of his former roommates. The former Gopher forward signed an amateur try-out agreement with the Hershey Bears, the AHL affiliate of the Washington Capitals,…
Wed, 4/1, 11:16pm (2 months ago)
The Gophers will have a new face in net next season. Junior goaltender Adam Wilcox signed a two year entry-level contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning Wednesday night, and will report to the team's AHL affiliate, the Syracuse Crunch, on an amateur tryout agreement. Wilcox was drafted by the Lightning in…
Wed, 4/1, 1:06pm (2 months ago)
Updated at 3:20 p.m. with statement from Skjei. The Gophers have their first early departure of the last two years. Junior defenseman Brady Skjei will forego his senior season after agreeing to an entry-level contract with the New York Rangers on Wednesday. The news was first reported by Let's Play Hockey. Skjei was…
Tue, 3/31, 10:06am (2 months ago)
Mr. Boyd is going to Washington. Senior forward Travis Boyd became the third Gophers senior to sign a professional contract on Tuesday, when the Washington Capitals announced they signed Boyd to a two-year, entry-level contract. Boyd will report to the Hershey Bears of the AHL on a tryout agreement. "I couldn't have…
Sun, 3/29, 12:22pm (2 months ago)
Kyle Rau is on his way to reuniting with former roommate Nick Bjugstad. The Gophers former senior captain signed an entry level deal with the Florida Panthers on Sunday, the team announced. Rau, a forward who was drafted by the Panthers in the 3rd round - 91st overall - in the…
Sat, 3/28, 3:14pm (2 months ago)
On Friday, Seth Ambroz's amateur hockey career ended. On Saturday, his professional one began. Ambroz signed an amateur tryout contract with the Springfield Falcons of the American Hockey League, the team announced Saturday. The news comes one day after Ambroz's senior season with the Gophers ended in a 4-1 loss to…
Fri, 3/27, 11:43pm (2 months ago)
The Gophers season didn’t end with a whimper or a bang. It ended in silence. There was no loud rejoicing by Minnesota-Duluth or its assembled fans.  No outward despair for the Minnesota contingent. The game had already been long decided. Minnesota-Duluth never trailed in a 4-1 victory in the NCAA regional, ending…
Sun, 3/15, 1:08pm (2 months ago)
After a rough first event, Minnesota rallied back to earn a spot in the second session of the Big Ten Championship finishing third out of five teams Saturday. The Gophers started the competition shaky after some uncharacterstic falls on the balance beam and found themselves in a hole early. Junior Hanna…
Sat, 3/14, 8:12pm (2 months ago)
After the first five minutes of Minnesota’s NCAA tournament quarterfinal tilt against Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) on Saturday, it looked like the Gophers would coast into the Frozen Four after tallying two quick goals. But while Minnesota maintained its lead the rest of the game and ended up winning 6-2,…
Sat, 3/14, 8:12pm (2 months ago)
Fri, 3/13, 10:39pm (2 months ago)
And then there was one. After Friday night’s 5-0 victory over the Penn State Nittany Lions, the Gophers only have one game remaining in the regular season. The Gophers penultimate contest at home in Mariucci Arena was a relatively uneventful affair. Minnesota jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first period…
Thu, 3/12, 4:43pm (2 months ago)
CHICAGO — There's a reason why D'Angelo Russell is widely considered a top-5 pick if he chooses to enter the NBA Draft this summer. Just ask the Gophers.  Before winter prematurely ended and Minnesota lost 12 of 18 regular-season conference games, the Ohio State freshman came into Williams Arena in January…