Upon Further Review has everything you ever wanted to know about Gophers athletics (and then some). The Daily’s Sports team brings in-depth analysis, live blogs of Minnesota game days as well as any extra tidbits of information to help fans get their Gophers sports fix.
Sat, 9/20, 7:02pm (1 day ago)
  Minnesota bounced back from last week’s defeat at TCU to beat San Jose State 24-7 and improve their record to 3-1.  The Gophers did not complete a pass until 6:36 remaining in the game but did find success running the ball as they racked up 380 yards. Running back David Cobb…
Sat, 9/20, 4:29pm (2 days ago)
When the Gophers played San Jose State last year, they ran the ball 67 times. Halfway through Saturday's game, Minnesota leads 17-7 and has yet to complete a pass.  Minnesota ran the ball 31 times for 222 yards — all of which came courtesy of senior running back David Cobb and…
Sat, 9/20, 10:07am (2 days ago)
  Minnesota had a dismal game at TCU last week, turning the ball over five times en route to a 30-7 loss. With that game behind them, the Gophers are set to face San Jose State at home Saturday for the second straight season. Minnesota ran over the Spartans 43-24 last year as Mitch…
Fri, 9/12, 5:52pm (1 week ago)
Highly touted basketball recruit Jarvis Johnson committed to the Gophers on Friday afternoon to give Minnesota its fourth player in the 2015 class. Johnson, who wielded offers from UCLA, Michigan State, Wisconsin and more, couldn't pass up the opportunity to play for budding head coach Richard Pitino in his backyard.  "My…
Mon, 9/8, 2:58pm (2 weeks ago)
Minnesota senior running back David Cobb was named the Big Ten Co-Offensive Player of the Week today by the Big Ten. Cobb ran for a career-high 220 yards and scored two touchdowns on 29 carries to lead the Gophers to a 35-24 victory over Middle Tennessee State on Saturday Sept. 6.…
Sat, 9/6, 6:01pm (2 weeks ago)
The Gophers improved to 2-0 on the season thanks to a career day by senior running back David Cobb. Cobb ran the ball 29 times for a career high 220 yards and one touchdown in the 35-24 victory. Minnesota racked up 284 total yards on the ground but did not find…
Sat, 9/6, 4:18pm (2 weeks ago)
  After a quiet 78 yards in the Gophers season-opener last Thursday, senior running back David Cobb is running past the Middle Tennessee State defense at will. With 111 rushing yards and one touchdown, Cobb has helped power Minnesota to a 28-0 first half advantage. While Cobb’s been phenomenal, Minnesota mostly has…
Sat, 9/6, 1:51pm (2 weeks ago)
The Gophers (1-0) are set to take on Middle Tennessee State (1-0) at 2:30. Here's everything you need to know about Minnesota heading into their second game of the year. Minnesota topped Eastern Illinois 42-20 in its season-opener last Thursday behind a strong debut from redshirt freshman running back Berkley Edwards. Edwards…
Fri, 8/29, 5:15pm (3 weeks ago)
Minnesota defensive lineman Yoshoub Timms walks off the field with a leg injury Thursday night against Eastern Illinois. Amanda Snyder/Minnesota Daily After his team topped Eastern Illinois 42-20 Thursday night, Gophers head coach Jerry Kill said he was concerned about injuries to  several of his defensive linemen. On Friday morning, Kill…
Thu, 8/28, 11:27pm (3 weeks ago)
University of Minnesota head volleyball coach Hugh McCutcheon has added Laura Calouri and Carly Rasmussen to the 2014 roster. Calouri, a 6-foot outside hitter from Switzerland, played with two different age groups of the Swiss Junior National Team in addition to the Volley Toggenburg in the Swiss National Division A until…
Thu, 8/28, 9:47pm (3 weeks ago)
Minnesota sophomore forward Simone Kolander was named the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week Monday, Aug. 25, by the Big Ten.  Kolander, a Lakeville, Minn., native, scored nine points in the Gophers' first two games of the season, with two goals and four assists. The Gophers defeated Stetson 10-0 in…
Thu, 8/28, 7:37pm (3 weeks ago)
  Minnesota's offense only managed 21 yards in the first quarter, but took advantage of an Eastern Illinois fumble to take the lead. On 3rd and goal from the 2-yard line, quarterback Mitch Leidner called his own number, rushing in untouched for the first touchdown of the season. The offense woke up…
Thu, 8/28, 1:52pm (4 weeks ago)
Head women’s gymnastics coach Meg Stephenson has resigned, the University of Minnesota announced in a release Thursday afternoon. The resignation comes after two University-conducted investigations into “student and employee complaints about the program,” according to the release. “Following these investigations, the athletics department took prompt and appropriate action to address the concerns,”…
Fri, 8/8, 7:27pm (1 month ago)
Jeff Jones has been granted admission to the University of Minnesota as a student, per his Facebook account.  While gaining admission to the University is a significant hurdle for Jones, it does not necessarily mean he is eligible to play football for the Gophers. Jones, who has struggled to qualify academically,…
Thu, 8/7, 4:16pm (1 month ago)
The National Collegiate Athletics Association Division I Board of Directors passed a vote Thursday morning that will grant the "Power 5" conferences —including the Big Ten — and their 65 members an unprecedented level of autonomy. The 16-2 vote is subject to a 60-day veto period before it takes effect. “We are…