Upon Further Review has everything you ever wanted to know about Gophers athletics (and then some). The Daily’s Sports team brings in-depth analysis, live blogs of Minnesota game days as well as any extra tidbits of information to help fans get their Gophers sports fix.
Sat, 2/28, 5:32pm (20 hours ago)
The Gophers topped Michigan State 96-90 in overtime on Thursday night for arguably their most impressive victory of the season. An NCAA tournament appearance is highly unlikely at this point — unless the Gophers find a way to beat No. 5 Wisconsin next week, top Penn State three days later…
Sat, 2/28, 12:30am (2 days ago)
The Gophers quest to get their head coach to the top of the record books got off to a bad start Thursday. Freshman goaltender Nick Lehr, making his first collegiate start, gave up three goals on the first four shots he faced. After just 10 minutes of play, the Gophers found themselves…
Sat, 2/28, 12:25am (2 days ago)
The Gophers first home loss in their short Big Ten history put them back on the bubble. After the Gophers 4-2 loss against Michigan State Friday night the team is No. 13 in the PairWise rankings, right on the verge of missing the NCAA tournament. The Gophers still have four conference…
Fri, 2/27, 7:36pm (2 days ago)
  Heading into his eighth postseason as head coach of the Gophers, Brad Frost has realized the unfortunate truth that befalls his team every year at this time. “We know that we are measured by whether we win a national championship or not,” Frost said. “I don’t think its fair, but it’s…
Thu, 2/26, 3:53pm (3 days ago)
  Thursday, the 2015 Patty Kazmaier Award top-10 finalists were announced with three Gophers finding their names on the list. Senior captain Rachel Ramsey, junior Hannah Brandt and sophomore Dani Cameranesi find themselves still in the running for women’s hockey’s most prestigious individual award. The 10 players represent six schools around the nation,…
Tue, 2/24, 6:28pm (5 days ago)
A split against the Nittany Lions didn't give the Gophers any separation in the Big Ten Hockey standings. In fact, none of the teams in the Big Ten separated themselves after every series in the conference ended in a split this past weekend. Meaning the stakes are still the same with…
Tue, 2/24, 4:50pm (5 days ago)
The WCHA announced today that Gophers junior defenseman Milica McMillen will receive a one-game suspension for a game misconduct infraction for contact to the head during Minnesota’s 4-2 victory Saturday over Bemidji State.   McMillen, a starter on the fourth ranked defense in the nation, will miss the first game of the…
Fri, 2/20, 1:31pm (1 week ago)
Nine members of the Gophers volleyball team travel to Colorado Springs, Colo., this weekend to try out for the U.S. women's national team at the U.S. Olympic Training Center. Maddie Beal, Alyssa Goehner, Erica Handley, Molly Lohman, Katie Schau, Samantha Seliger Swenson, Hannah Tapp, Paige Tapp and Sarah Wilhite will all…
Wed, 2/18, 6:22pm (2 weeks ago)
Don Lucia joked that it would make a good trivia question. Which two of the six Big Ten coaches got their start in Fairbanks, Alaska? The answer: Lucia, and Penn State head coach Guy Gadowsky. Lucia spent six seasons at the helm of the Nanooks from 1987-1993, and Gadowsky took over six…
Tue, 2/17, 11:21am (2 weeks ago)
After leading the Gophers back to the national rankings with a sweep of Michigan, Kyle Rau and Adam Wilcox picked up two of the Big Ten's three weekly awards. Rau was named the Big Ten's second star after a four goal weekend, while Wilcox picked up the third star after allowing…
Mon, 2/16, 10:45am (2 weeks ago)
Much like his collegiate football debut, Gophers redshirt freshman running back Berkley Edwards had to wait a while before making his first appearance for Minnesota’s track team. In similar fashion to his fall debut, where he ran for 60 yards and two touchdowns against Eastern Illinois, Edwards also thrived on the…
Sun, 2/15, 8:58pm (2 weeks ago)
Michigan head coach Red Berenson didn’t give complicated answers after his team’s two losses over the weekend. After Friday’s 6-2 loss to the Gophers he said “we weren’t very good, and they were really good.” He followed it up Saturday by saying “One thing we’ve been able to do this year is…
Fri, 2/13, 3:39pm (2 weeks ago)
The University of Minnesota will pay around $2,200 to cover the cost of attendance for over 300 full-scholarship athletes as part of the new NCAA autonomy rules, athletics director Norwood Teague said Friday in a presentation at the Board of Regents meeting. Teague explained that universities -- without the say of…
Thu, 2/12, 2:35pm (2 weeks ago)
The $190 million athletic facilities plan took another step forward Thursday as a Board of Regents committee approved an amendment to allot the athletics department $15 million for schematic design of the Athletes Village. The money is already part of the athletics department's fundraising budget for the project, which now totals…
Wed, 2/11, 9:44pm (3 weeks ago)
Former University of Minnesota and current Florida Panthers star Nick Bjugstad is back in Minnesota for Florida's game against the Wild Thursday night. Bjugstad recently signed a six-year contract extension worth over $24 million, but life as a professional hockey player hasn't kept him from paying attention to his former team. "They're…