Gophers suspend Joseph indefinitely

Posted: Thu, 11/11, 10:25pm, Updated: 3 years ago

Minnesota men's basketball head coach Tubby Smith announced Thursday night that junior guard Devoe Joseph has been suspended indefinitely due to a violation of team rules.

Smith wouldn't discuss details of the suspension, but said there were "off-the-court issues and other things he needs to deal with," according to the Associated Press. Joseph didn't play in the Gophers' second preseason game against Winona State, and Smith said he won't be making the trip for the Puerto Rico Tip-off next week.

Joseph was a major contributor for the Gophers last season after Al Nolen's suspension, and averaged 9.4 points per game.

"Devoe knows he's let the team down," Smith said, according to the Associated Press. "He feels like he's let himself down, he's let me down. But it doesn't take long to recover. Once you realize that when you look at the mirror, you say, 'You know what, I better go hug him because I'm looking for a hug myself.' I've made mistakes after mistakes [too]."

The Gophers open their regular season at Williams Arena against Wofford Friday at 7:00 p.m.