Minnesota Lynx win WNBA championship

Minnesota sports fans finally have something to cheer about. The Minnesota Lynx completed the sweep of the Atlanta Dream in the best-of-five series to capture their first title in franchise history.

It was just last season the Lynx finished with the worst record in the WNBA en route to drafting University of Connecticut standout Maya Moore. This pick seemed to ignite the franchise and as Moore and the surplus of talent on the roster started to build chemistry wins followed. Minnesota went full circle from last season and finished with a league best record of 27-7.

They were the No. 1 seed in the playoffs and their only loss came to the San Antonio Silver Stars in the first round. After that loss to San Antonio, the Lynx rallied off six straight wins, culminating with their 73-67 win over the Dream to win the title.

In the decisive game three of the best-of-five, Seimone Augustus scored 16 points and Moore added 15 points to lead the Lynx. Augustus and Moore were two of four players that scored in double digits and every starter on the Lynx scored at least seven points. Rebekkah Brunson had 13 points and nine rebounds for Minnesota and Candice Wiggins added 10 points off the bench.

Minnesota alumni Lindsey Whalen finished with seven points, five rebounds, and one assist. The Lynx title marks the first championship any major Minnesota sports franchise has won since the Minnesota Twins won the World Series in 1991.