Baseball coach Anderson gets five-year extension

Athletics director Joel Maturi announced today that the University of Minnesota and head baseball coach John Anderson have agreed to a five-year contract extension.

"We’re pleased to announce that we have come to a long-term agreement with Coach Anderson,” Maturi said in a release. “There is no one more deserving of this than John. Not only is he the winningest coach in the Big Ten, the manner in which he runs his program is remarkable."

Anderson, currently in his 31st year at the helm of the baseball team, has a career record of 1,080-715-3. He won the Big Ten Coach of the Year award six times and has helped lead the Gophers to 17 NCAA Tournament appearances.

Anderson was also a driving force behind a campaign for a new on-campus baseball facility, and in February, the University of Minnesota hired a construction contractor for a new Siebert Field. Minnesota has played its home games at the Metrodome for the last decade.

“It's been an honor and privilege to serve this great University and its tradition rich baseball program for the past 35 years as an assistant and head coach,” Anderson said in a release.

"My number one goal over the next five years is to leave the program in better shape than when I became the head coach in 1981 and to position it so the next generation of Gopher baseball players can create more special success stories on and off the diamond of play at the University of Minnesota.”