New play-by-play announcer named for Gophers hockey

Doug McLeod was named the play-by-play announcer for the University of Minnesota men's hockey this season, Fox Sports North and the University said Wednesday.

McLeod was the first regular play-by-play announcer for the Gophers hockey team, spending 16 seasons behind the television and radio microphone. During the 1978-79 season, his first full season covering the Gophers, the team won the NCAA championship and coach Herb Brooks went on to win the Miracle on Ice Olympic gold medal in Lake Placid. During his career in Minnesota, McLeod also spent 14 seasons calling the Minnesota State High School Hockey Tournament.

"I'm thrilled and honored to return to the Gophers. This is the premier college hockey program in the country, and it has always been my dream to come back to broadcast their games again," McLeod said in a release. "All my hockey roots are deeply planted in Minnesota and I'm looking forward to again saying, 'It's hockey night in Minnesota.'"

McLeod brings extensive play-by-play experience and a strong connection to the Minnesota hockey community, according to the release. He served as the television voice of the North Stars for six seasons, calling all six games of the 1991 Stanley Cup Finals.

Since 2006, McLeod has worked as a freelance play-by-play announcer, author and news anchor. Prior to that, he served as the radio and television voice of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Colorado Avalanche and Phoenix Coyotes.

The Gophers open their season Oct. 6 with a game at Mariucci Arena against Lethbridge.