Kevin Dorsey commits to Gophers

The first of three July evaluation periods is underway and the Gophers already have a commitment from four-star point guard Kevin Dorsey. Evan Daniels of Scout Hoops first reported the news, which Dorsey confirmed via Twitter: "I Am Blessed To Announce That I Have Committed To The University of Minnesotta #GoldenGophers #BIG10 Thank You To All That Supported!" – @kevvv___

The Fairfax, Va., native had offers from Creighton, Maryland, Nebraska, Virginia Tech, VCU and others. Dorsey played at the Minneapolis portion of the EYBL in May and returned for a campus visit in June. His uptempo, slashing style of play is similar to other guards Pitino has coached and targeted. 

Ranked No. 84 in the nation by Rivals, Dorsey could come in and provide production at a position that will need it going forward. Minnesota's starting senior backcourt of Andre Hollins and DeAndre Mathieu will be gone by the time Dorsey joins the team. The only other point guard on the roster is incoming freshman Nate Mason — and Pitino has said he likes to play two point guards together. 

Much can happen between now and Dorsey's first game in the fall of 2015, but Mason and Dorsey could be the Gophers' starting backcourt of the future.

Read more about Gophers recruiting targets and how Pitino is building stronger ties in his second year