Fasching and Collins Named to World Junior Roster

A pair of Gophers were named to the U.S. National Junior Team camp roster on Tuesday, in preparation for the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship.

Sophomore forward Hudson Fasching and freshman defenseman Ryan Collins, who have both skated with the U.S. National Development Team Program, were named to the preliminary roster.

Fasching appeared at the World Junior Championship in Sweden last year, tallying four points in five games last year. Fasching also helped the U.S. earn a silver medal in the 2013 IIHF U-18 World Championships with six points.

Fasching, an honorable mention All-Big Ten selection his freshman year, is the Gophers second-leading goal scorer at the moment, with five goals in 12 games.

Collins helped the U.S. win a gold medal at the 2014 IIHF Under-18 World Championship in Finland and has skated for the U.S. in other international competitions such as the 2013 Five Nations Tournament and 2013 World Under-17 Challenge in Canada.

Collins is tied for the most appearances amongst Gopher freshmen with 10. Collins is also first among Gophers freshmen in points and assists with four.

The U.S. camp opens on Dec. 16 at Boston University’s Walter Brown Arena, with the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship set to begin on Dec. 26 in Canada. The gold medal game will take place on Jan. 5.