Warning signs with Hershey Bears

UPDATED 12:20 with information that Warning attended a Washington Capitals development camp in the summer of 2014.

Sam Warning is on his way to a reunion with one of his former roommates.

The former Gopher forward signed an amateur try-out agreement with the Hershey Bears, the AHL affiliate of the Washington Capitals, the University of Minnesota announced in a release Thursday. Warning's linemate and roommate this season, Travis Boyd, is currenlty a member of the team. Warning attended a Capitals development camp last summer.

The Chesterfield, Missouri native skated in 146 career games at the University of Minnesota, recording 97 total points (40 goals, 57 assists). During his time at Minnesota Warning was a part of four regular season conference championship teams, one conference tournament championship team and two Frozen Four teams.

Warning's strongest year came in his junior season, where he recorded 34 points in 39 games and has a plus-25 plus/minus total. Last season, Warning joined one of the Gophers top lines with fellow seniors Boyd and Seth Ambroz, and the three formed a potent combination that helped get Minnesota's season back on the path to a fourth straight NCAA tournament berth.

Warning was known for the speed he brought to the line, finishing his senior season with 24 points in 39 games. He is the fourth Minnesota senior to sign a pro contract after Boyd, Ambroz and Kyle Rau, and the sixth Minnesota player overall after juniors Brady Skjei and Adam Wilcox left college early to become professionals.