Mayoral candidates debate in south Minneapolis

Seven candidates looking to fill Mayor R.T. Rybak’s position discussed police misconduct, education and other issues Thursday.

Audience members asked the mayoral candidates questions to guide the discussion Thursday – many questioned the city’s police system.

Mayoral candidates Mark Andrew, Jackie Cherryhomes, Dan Cohen, Betsy Hodges, Don Samuels, Cam Winton and Stephanie Woodruff participated in the discussion in south Minneapolis.

Most of the candidates said they supported the idea of a more community-centered police force. They also discussed strategies to run the Office of Police Conduct Review.

About 400 hundred people attended the debate and Daren Nyquist, a spokesman for the event, said it was the “best attended” mayoral debate so far this election.

Other topics the candidates discussed included city growth, taxes, and education and transportation issues.

Paul Gustafson, attendee of the event, said having 35 mayoral candidates on the Nov. 5 ballot is overwhelming, but he said the debate helped him understand their platforms better.

“There’s so many of them that to get any information about the candidates is a plus,” he said.

The event was hosted by The Hale Page Diamond Lake Community Association and it was was moderated by Martha Allen from the League of Women Voters. 

For more on what was discussed at the mayoral debate, pick up Monday’s Minnesota Daily.