FBI raids room in Middlebrook

Agents were executing a search warrant.

Minneapolis FBI agents searched a student’s dorm room in the University of Minnesota’s Middlebrook Hall early Wednesday morning.

University spokesman Matt Hodson said the agents had a search warrant, but didn’t know what the agents were looking for or whether they found it.

Hodson was unable to comment about the status of the student whose room was searched.

The FBI notified University police in advance, said Greg Boosalis, Division Counsel for the FBI’s Minneapolis Division.

“Typically when we do a search warrant, we always contact the local agency to make sure that they know that we’re going to be there and there’s no conflict,” he said.

A UMPD investigator assigned to the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force is continuing to assist with the investigation, even though the case is not a terrorism case, said University police Deputy Chief Chuck Miner.

Miner said he wasn’t sure if Housing and Residential Life was notified in advance of the search, but said it’s typical to do so. Housing and Residential Life employees can then help with unlocking doors, for example.

“With a search warrant, you can generally break open a door to get into a residence or an apartment,” Miner said. “But there’s no need to do that in this case, when we can get the keys through other means.”

The residence hall, located on the University’s West Bank, houses about 900 students, according to University’s Housing and Residential Life website.

A number of University students commented on the incident on Twitter, beginning Thursday and continuing Friday.