Student robbed outside home

An armed man allegedly stole a student’s wallet, cellphone and backpack Wednesday.

A University of Minnesota student was robbed at gunpoint while entering his home in Dinkytown early Wednesday morning, according to a Minneapolis police report.

The student wasn’t harmed, but the armed suspect stole his wallet, cellphone and backpack, which contained a laptop and class materials, according to the report and student. The incident occurred near 11th Avenue Southeast and Eighth Street Southeast.

Alex Granquist, a business and marketing education sophomore, was biking home from a friend’s house after 3 a.m. Wednesday when he noticed a suspicious man walking down the middle of the road, he said.

“I always assume someone’s up to no good at that time of the night,” Granquist said.

He said he tried to avoid the man, but he approached Granquist as he was unlocking his house door.

The suspect told Granquist he was trying to get into a friend’s apartment and asked to borrow his cellphone, Granquist said.

When Granquist refused, he said, the suspect pulled a gun on him and demanded his possessions. After Granquist handed them over, the suspect fled on foot, according to the report. Granquist said he called the police and officers arrived a few minutes later.

Minneapolis police then unsuccessfully searched the area for the suspect, according to a University crime alert.

University police Chief Greg Hestness sent the alert to students, faculty and staff Wednesday afternoon, the latest in a string of such emails this fall.

UMPD has sent eight alerts for 13 crimes that occurred on or near campus since fall semester began.

Of those, five were for armed robberies and one was for a sexual assault. The remainder was for robberies, assaults or both.

Minneapolis police are investigating the incident, the crime alert said.