Two students assaulted near Dinkytown Friday

The women were slightly injured during the altercations but had no valuables taken.

Two University of Minnesota students were assaulted Friday morning during an attempted robbery on the outskirts of Dinkytown, according to a crime alert emailed to the school community later that day.

The alert said two women were walking along 12th Avenue Southeast when a dark-colored minivan stopped at the road’s intersection with Sixth Street Southeast.

A male suspect between 20 and 30 years old then exited the van and approached the two women, the alert said, and told them to hand over their valuables.

Although the two students did not resist the suspect’s demands, he assaulted them and brandished what the crime alert said was either a handgun or a Taser equipped with a red laser sight.

According to the alert, the suspect didn’t take valuables from either woman, but he injured both slightly during the assault. The suspect then fled back to the minivan, where he drove off with at least two other suspects, the alert said.

Cops cite driver on a permit

University police officers made their way to the Dinkytown McDonald’s at about 9 p.m. Friday after receiving reports of a disturbance, according to a police report.

There, they found an 18-year-old man, who is not affiliated with the University, driving with only an instructional permit and without a licensed adult in the car, the report said.

As an officer wrote up a citation for his instructional permit violation, the car’s passenger got out of the vehicle, said University police Lt. Troy Buhta. Leaving the car door ajar, he then tried to enter the driver’s side door to take the steering wheel.

Buhta said in doing so, the passenger, a 16-year-old according to the police report, was obstructing traffic and interfering with the officer’s ability to issue a citation.

Police issued the first man for not having a valid ID and cited the minor passenger with obstructing legal processes.