Alleged killer goes to trial

A trial for the man accused of killing former student Anarae Schunk started on Monday.

A man accused of murdering a University of Minnesota student last fall went to trial Monday for another killing he allegedly committed on the same day.

Shavelle Chavez-Nelson, 32, also known as Anthony Lee Nelson, appeared in court facing a second-degree murder charge for allegedly killing Palagor Jobi in the parking lot of a Burnsville bar on Sept. 22, 2013.

According to charges filed in the Dakota County District Court, Jobi was talking to Ashley Marie Conrade, who was allegedly dating Nelson at the time, in the parking lot of Nina’s Grill in Burnsville at about 2 a.m.

Nelson confronted Jobi and shot him several times after the two started fighting, according to the charges.

Nelson and Conrade are both charged in the killing of University student Anarae Schunk later that day.

Schunk and Nelson had dated in the past, but she reportedly cut ties with him about a year before her killing.

Authorities say Schunk met with Nelson and Conrade hours before Jobi’s killing, and the three later went to Conrade’s townhouse.

Police found Schunk’s body in a rural ditch more than a week later. She had been stabbed almost two dozen times.

Nelson allegedly dropped off a garbage bag at his estranged wife’s St. Paul home after the murder. Court documents state the bag contained the University sweatshirt Schunk was last seen wearing.

Before Monday’s trial, Nelson fired his attorney.

Jury selection could last the rest of the week, said Monica Jensen, a spokeswoman for the Dakota County Attorney’s Office.