Spring Jam shortens its schedule

YG will headline this year’s event, which organizers have turned into a one-day festival.
Lizzo performed at Rock the Garden on June 21, 2014. Lizzo was also part of the Universitys Spring Jam line-up that year.
Image by Lisa Persson
Lizzo performed at Rock the Garden on June 21, 2014. Lizzo was also part of the University’s Spring Jam line-up that year.

For the first time, Spring Jam will be a one-day mini music festival, with daylong performances, carnival rides and food trucks.

Rapper YG will headline the main event on April 25 after opening performances by hip-hop acts Travis Porter and Lizzo and pop artists Kiesza and Betty Who.

The event will be held in a parking lot behind Mariucci Arena. Spring Jam’s host, Student Unions and Activities, tweaked the format this year, altering the normally three-day event into a one-day festival.

Electronic dance music performer Vaski will play after the headline performance by YG — another new addition to the annual event.

Spring Jam’s Battle of the Bands winner, country artist Parmalee, will perform a free “warm up” concert on April 17 in front of Coffman Union.

Student presale tickets will go on sale for $20 on March 30. The price will increase to $25 the following day and to $30 on April 25. General admission ticket sales start on March 31, costing $50.

“We really want to give students the experience and priority,” SUA marketing manager Nathan Waldvogel said. “Students are really our audience, so we want to make sure they are able to afford a ticket. That’s who we really want to come to Spring Jam.”

He said with the one-day event, the school hopes to attract more students than in past years, and the day’s multiple performances carry a “festival vibe.”

This year’s performers range in genre from hardcore rap to pop.

Headliner YG, also known as Young Gangsta, is a California-based rapper. His 2014 album, “My Krazy Life,” featured guests including Drake, Rich Homie Quan and Schoolboy Q.

Travis Porter and Minneapolis-based Lizzo are also rappers on the event’s lineup.

The other opening artists carry more variety — Kiesza, Betty Who and Parmalee stray away from the rap-heavy sets.

Commenters on social media voiced mixed opinions on the event’s acts.

Some students voiced excitement, while others were disappointed that they hadn’t heard of many of the artists.

Aerospace engineering sophomore Joey Habeck said the after-party will be the festival’s best set.

“I saw [Vaski] before and … he is an outstanding performer. He gets really into the music and the set itself,” Habeck said. “If you have a good performer, even if [students] don’t like the music, that’s what makes it fun.”