U officials say students are safe

University of Minnesota officials say there is no threat to students’ safety after a man was shot outside of the Marshall apartment building early Monday morning.

Minneapolis police responded to a shooting at 12:42 a.m. on the 500th block of 14th Avenue South East, where responders found a victim with a gunshot wound, said Scott Seroka, Minneapolis Police Department spokesman.

Sociology of law, criminology and deviance senior, Libby Parker was across the street when the incident took place.

Parker said she first thought the noises she heard were fireworks, but when she heard screaming, she said she immediately knew someone had been shot and ran across the street to help the victim.

“I held his head in my lap and told his friend to apply pressure to the wound,” Parker said. “We sat like this for five to 10 minutes until police arrived.”

The University did not issue a crime alert to students, University spokesman Tim Busse said, because crime alerts are not issued when there is no ongoing threat to student safety.

Busse said the victim and his assailant likely knew each other from a gathering in the apartment complex earlier that night.

Parker said the incident’s close proximity to campus made it “extremely upsetting” that the University didn’t choose to notify students.

Minneapolis police have not identified a suspect, but MPD spokesman John Elder said police believe the incident was not a random act.

Shots were fired both in and outside of the apartment complex. In an emailed statement to its residents Tuesday afternoon, the apartment’s management said the shooting did not involve its residents.

The statement also said legal action will be taken against the resident who brought the individuals inside the building and reminded residents that they are responsible for anyone they let in.

Recent University mechanical engineering graduate Tom Zimmer lives on the third floor near the area where shots were fired, but wasn’t home when it happened.

“The people who were home were visibly shaken and the others that weren’t had no idea what happened,” he said. “It’s very disappointing that the apartment waited so long to notify its residents.”