U students protest shooting

Around 150 gathered outside Northrop Auditorium after five people were injured in a north Minneapolis shooting.

Following the shooting of five protesters at the Minneapolis Police Department’s 4th Precinct, around 150 University of Minnesota students called for a fundamental change to law enforcement in front of Northrop Auditorium Tuesday afternoon.

The shooting occurred Monday, about a week since protests over the fatal shooting of Jamar Clark by a Minneapolis police officer started. Police have apprehended a suspect in connection with the shooting, but have yet to release any other information, according to a statement.

Many news sources have reported the police have apprehended a second suspect.

Black Student Union President Javaris Bradford called for the end of terrorism from white supremacists and police abuse.

“We are a nation of terrorism and the truth has to come out,” he said.

The Minnesota Student Association’s Vice President Abeer Syedah said in a speech every student should stand in solidarity with BSU because everyone is affected by police violence.

“I don’t believe I can do my job as a community advisor without spreading awareness about the violence and injustice going on in the U.S.,” said math education senior Erik Thibault.

Zaire Ishmael, a global studies senior who attended the protest at Northrop and the protests in front of the 4th Precinct, said protests are just a way to begin a conversation, but they will not fix longstanding issues.

“We need to start asking the right but tough questions about our world and facing the uncomfortable truths in order to start making positive changes,” he said.

Protesters have called for the release of tapes related to Clark’s death. U.S. Attorney Andrew Luger said releasing the footage would be “extremely detrimental to the investigation,” in a statement in association with the FBI and Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights.