Hodges, Harteau present 2014 crime stats

Despite fewer burglaries and nonviolent crimes, there was a slight rise in violent crimes.

Minneapolis crime rates for 2014 were the lowest in 30 years, said Mayor Betsy Hodges and Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau at a community meeting Thursday.

City officials presented statistics that boasted an overall decrease in crime in the city, however Hodges said there is still work that needs to be done to address the unequal distribution of crime.

“Minneapolis is a safe city, but it is safer for some more than it is for others,” she said.

Click here to view the report on Scribd.

The meeting was held at the Hennepin County North Regional Library in order to emphasize work that needs to be done in the area, Hodges said.

Hodges and Harteau focused largely on youth violence both across the city and at “hot spots,” including North Minneapolis and Cedar-Riverside.

Both said that young people between the ages of 18 and 24 were at the highest risk of violent victimization, which is up one percent in the city.

Meanwhile, the crime rate of the MPD’s second precinct, which includes the University of Minnesota, fell 12 percent in the past year.

Burglaries were also down 10 percent from last year, Harteau said, adding that this was due to the department’s focus on burglary prevention in 2014.