Gas station robbed at gunpoint, near-campus assault reported

Few other crimes have been reported in the area within the last week.
Lower temperatures mean lower crime rates.

Aside from some alcohol-related incidents and a string of robberies last week, very few crimes have occurred on or near the University of Minnesota in recent weeks.

“It’s pretty common this time of the year,” said University of Minnesota Police Department Deputy Chief Chuck Miner.  “Crime tends to be a little slower — even the criminals don’t like to be out in the cold.”

Convenience store robbed 

The SuperAmerica gas station located at 3357 University Ave. SE was robbed at gunpoint over the weekend.

According to a police report, Keio Gunn, 29, was arrested shortly after allegedly robbing the gas station Saturday evening.

SuperAmerica cashier Natassja Smith said Gunn entered the store and fired a gunshot into the ceiling before approaching her and a coworker. He then demanded all the money in the register and the safe, Smith said.

Smith said Gunn left with money from the cash register only after she told him that they didn’t know how to open the safe.

Douglas Thompson, a customer inside the store at the time of the robbery, said he followed Gunn outside the store and got in his car to try and locate Gunn but was 
unsuccessful.

Minneapolis Police found Gunn on a Metro Transit bus and took him into custody, according to the police report. The report also said the money was recovered.

Gunn remained in Hennepin County Jail as of Monday evening. 

Assault on 14th Avenue

Also on Saturday, John Morrissey Jr., a former University student, was assaulted by an unknown male.

The suspect got into a verbal altercation with Morrissey’s friend after the suspect became increasingly agitated, Morrissey said.

When bystanders left, the suspect went up to Morrissey, punched him in the face and walked away, he said.

The Minneapolis Police Department could not be reached for comment.